power to outbuildings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am gong to run power down to my shed/dog kennel to install a infrared overhead heater & plug sockets - I am told i need armoured cable and special junction boxes - can anyone throw any light on what type of junction boxes I need?
thanks

Sponsored Links
You can use either galvanised steel boxes, or plastic boxes, either with an outdoor weatherproof rating (IP 65) You will need to use watertight glands to seal the cable entry points to the boxes. There are special glands to make off SWA (steel wire armoured) cable into the boxes. If you are running just single phase then a three core SWA cable will do the job - the gauge depends on the load to be supplied and the length of the cable run. Connect the steel armour to the earth conductor at one end of each length of cable. Also use a combined RCD/MCB rated to suit the cable size and expected load. You can put this in your consumer unit, if you are bringing the new cables back there, or if you are using an existing supply, e.g. breaking into an existing ring main, then put it in another IP65 box on the wall. You can get ones with a hinged cover and a DIN rail to mount the MCB/RCD. You local electrical wholesaler will advise. SWA cable is not easy to work with, but you can bury it in the ground. If you can clip the cable to a wall where it won't get damaged, then you can probably use an outdoor cable like NYMJ, which is much easier to terminate. Good Luck

many thanks for this - I will take your email to the electric wholesalers with me.

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back