Garden Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to wire up a few things in my garden. I was intending to put in two fountain pumps (using weatherproof switches) and a double socket to run some outdoor lights from.

My initial thought was that I could connect a junction box to the electricity supply in the garage by using a spur. Then connect three sets of armoured cable to the junction box, one for each fountain pump and one as a double socket in the shed (to use for the lights).

Could you confirm my understanding of some of the information I have got from this site.
1) I cannot spur from the garage if it is already a spur off the main house ring and I can tell this because it will only have one wire going into it rather than two.
2) I cannot connect that number of appliances up to a spur.

If (2) is correct why do the junction boxes have 3 output cable holes?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
both answers are yes. Are you refering to
A31.gif
you can use one of these because it only has a small total current rating unlike a socket which has to be able to supply up to 13 amps

That's great thanks. I think I should spur off from two possitions then. One to connect up the two fountains and one to connect up the double socket in the shed. I have one further question though. I've read that I should connect garden electrics up using a RCD protector. If I spur how can I protect the circuit with an RCD? The only ot connect another RCD into the socket? her RCD's that I've seen plug directly into a socket (is an RCD plugged into a socket considered a spur?)

Additional information - Our house is a new build and has an RCD as part of the fuse box.
The sockets that I'm using are MK Electric 56506 outdoor junction box http://www.diy.com/bq/product/product.jhtml?PRODID=15241&paintCatId=&CATID=82951
and Masterseal 2 socket double switched http://www.diy.com/bq/product/product.jhtml?PRODID=15201&paintCatId=&CATID=171420 and a Masterseal switch which isn't on the web site.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back