Garden socket with indoor switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an armoured cable running from the consumer unit to power in my garden shed.
I am considering a decking project with low voltage lights and require a double socket
ideally being activated from a switch indoors. If I put in a weatherproof IP66 junction box and spur off that, is it possible to add the indoor switch ?

Sponsored Links
Probably, but it sounds an awkward way of doing it. Either run the switched feed direct from inside the house, or use remote-control sockets or adapters.

If the SWA is three core ( Live Neutral and Earth ) to the shed then there is no core for the Switched Live to the sockets of the lights. The power to the shed would be switched on and off with the sockets for the lamps.

If it is four core SWA then yes it is possible to used that 4th core as a Switched Live to the sockets BUT safely jointing a spur from an existing run of SWA cable is not a DIY task.

Is the SWA buried or pinned along a fence or wall.

Thanks for the reply, the SWA is buried, however under the old decking it is readily available above ground. It is only 3 core.
I maybe think the suggestion of remote sockets will suit me better

Sponsored Links
If the SWA is three core ( Live Neutral and Earth ) to the shed then there is no core for the Switched Live (sic) to the sockets of the lights.
That really depends how you wire it. After all the armour is designed to be the cpc of an SWA cable.

After all the armour is designed to be the cpc of an SWA cable.

For the cable yes but some interprete the regulations as being that the armour should not be the only conductor that takes the "earth" to the remote location.

Personally I would not use the armour for the earth to the remote location as in the case that the outer sheath is damaged the steel of the armour could corrode away over time. Corrosion could reduce the armouring to the extent that the impedance of the CPC via the degraded armour is too high to ensure proper operation of protective devices when a fault to CPC occurs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back