1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you use an RCD socket on a spur?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by OldKettle, 13 Feb 2020.

1. OldKettle

OldKettle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I would like to add an external socket as a spur from an existing internal socket.

I was planning to run 2.5mm cable to one of these sockets mounted on an external wall. Total cable length of the spur will be approx 2 metres.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-maste...roof-outdoor-switched-active-rcd-socket/26746

Is there any reason that a socket with RCD would not work on a spur?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

2. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    Ok.

No.
    It will, of course, only protect what you plug into it, and if you have an RCD on the house circuit, that might trip as well.

The one you have chosen is an "active" one.
    This means it will also trip should the power to it be cut. That is if the power then resumes your machine will not restart; you have to switch it on manually.

3. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There is no difference between an RCD socket and any other socket other than one thing, often the combined output of a twin RCD socket is rated by the manufacturer as 13A where with a standard 13A socket the combined output is normally 20A, but this is down to the manufacturer and not a general rule.

4. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    I would say it - the 13A - is just a name.

There are no normal UK double sockets which are called 20A.

5. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was under the impression for years that 13 amp means 13 amp, but after some one on a forum said the combined output should not exceed 20 amp I started to look at the data sheets, and some do say you can draw 13 amp from both sockets so combined output of 26 amp, however many manufactures actually show the combined output as 20 amp, and with special sockets like RCD and surge protection it can drop to 13 amp.

It seems daft, how would the user know what was being powered from the adjacent socket or what the combined output of the sockets are? One hardly down loads a data sheet before using a socket, but some MK double sockets are rated 13A the pair.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can certainly get an outdoor RCD socket from SF for a lot less than £65.99!

8. huggybear

huggybear

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  9. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is the internal socket part of the ring or is it already a spur?

But in answer to your question it will work.

However if the circuit is already RCD protected at the CU you do not need another.

10. OldKettle

OldKettle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for all the input. Very much appreciated.

I was originally going to go for a much cheaper socket, but all the reviews I read, including for the BG ones had complaints about build quality and short lifespan (sections snapping off etc), so I decided to go for that oen.

EFLImpudence mentions that it is active RCD. I selected that because I thought might be a good idea, because it is likely to have power tools plugged in occasionally, so I liked the idea of them not springing back to life (even though the safety features on them make that very unlikely).

The socket that I am going to spur from does currently have a spur, which runs outside to a socket in a shed. However that external socket does not seem to work, even though the internal socket does. As part of this work, I will be removing that existing spur.

Sponsored Links