LED Deck Lighting / Indoor Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some advice before contacting an electrician.

I'd like to have some LED decking lights installed, however control them via a smart switch from inside the house.

1. We have a double socket on the inside of the outside wall so assume an electrician could tap into that from outside? (approx. 5 metres distance from the deck area)

2. Would we have to bury the 5 metres of cable or is it tacked against the wall?

3. Assume we could have a wall switch installed inside the house that would power the outdoor socket?

We wouldn't be fussed where the indoor wall switch would be located, as it will probably be used very rarely. As it will be a smart switch we would use our phones, tablets and triggered by a door sensor …….. so to avoid chasing additional cables in to our internal wall (recently plastered and painted) have it placed next to the indoor socket which would be hidden by furniture.

Does that make sense or have I completely over complicated it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are many remote switches, I will not call them smart switches, which can turn lights on/off. I would consider a smart switch as one which can be set so when it is dark, warm or within 5 miles, or some other if this then that function (IFTTT) simple remote control I would not consider smart.

I am sure what you want can be done, but phone controlled switches range from under £10 to over £100 so much depends on what you want.

I will admit my smart devices were originally just timed or using a remote control, but now looking at being able to use a smart socket to turn on an AC unit when temperature exceeds a pre-set limit, and we are within 1 mile, etc. Once you have it you tend to use it. And the price it seems is going down all the time had these been on the market when I started then likely I would not have fitted what I have now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back