Installing PIR light outside - use plug indoors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this possible or near insane idea?

I need to install a safety/pir light outside our kitchen extension next to the backdoor.

Inside the kitchen there is a socket close to the backdoor. Could I drill a hole next to it, take a cable outside to the light, but leave a standard plug on the inside? This is so the indoor socket can be used whenever needed and then keep the pir light plugged in when needed (night times mainly).

If the ikea is ok.. can you advice best type of cable to use + use a separate RDC switch on the plug ok?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
While there isn't any reason why you can't, it will look p00 and isn't in the spirit of something that is a fixed electrical installation.

Ideally you would take a cable from the socket to a switched fused spur, then run a cable from the fused spur to the fitting,

Twin and earth isn't good with uv and weathering so shouldn't be used outside.

I'd suggest a length of rubber 3 core flex, any hole in the wall should drop downward in angle (from inside to out) then if rain water does run down the cable it would be able to run along the cable to the internal area.

I know what you mean with looking p00. The existing socket will actually end up inside a new kitchen cabinet so out of way to be seen.

Using the plug would allow me to just drill a hole for wire instead of needing do more damage to the wall. The height of the socket might actually allow me to install the PIR on top of the hole so all wiring will be hidden inside the cover - well thats what im trying anyway!

Should I still get a RDC switch on it for added security, what you think?

Thanks

Does the fuse bord not have an rcd for the circuit?

Since the pir should be out of touch reach I wouldn't bother.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back