Remove PIR (without replacing)

Because it would mean fitting a switch near the rear door and running it to the end of the garden. The pir light is on the garage, fed from the garage, at the end of the garden where the dog likes to do her business. Also works as a security light in case of intruders, obviously. Are you against pir operated lights?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I may be over simplifying this but you say that you have a light that is switched via a 2 gang switch in the kitchen and that 1 gang of the switch feeds a pir so the light that the switch is ultimately connected to will when switched ON, turn on and off with the detections of the PIR SENSOR.

much of this depends on how the fittings have been wired and its impossible to advise you based on the info provided. If you have a switch that is capable of turning off the said light then it would be helpful to describe and photograph the rear of this switch. Basically though EFL answered your question the best.

Well thank you everyone for the discourse on dogs doing their business in the night. I also have an impossible Yorkshire Terrier bitch and getting her to go when and where she should is a whole different issue. Probably for a whole different forum also.

Here is the photo and based on the first two responses to my question, I think I know what I should do. As 333rocky and EFL explained.

The issue I have with the current PIR switch arrangement is that the bloody thing is so insensitive and has such a short on-time that by the time I have gone from the backdoor to the garage and back again, the light is off and I have to leap around to get the PIR to 'notice' me and turn back on again. So I could replace the PIR sensor or just get rid.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Attachments

• IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 115
Sponsored Links
Here is the photo and based on the first two responses to my question, I think I know what I should do. As 333rocky and EFL explained.
You could do this.
upload_2017-10-14_14-18-45.png

but, seeing how it is wired, if you want to, you could remove the PIR and cable from light altogether by altering the wiring at the light.

There are a couple of ways to wire the switch so if, after you have done this, the light stays on let us know.

The issue I have with the current PIR switch arrangement is that the bloody thing is so insensitive and has such a short on-time that by the time I have gone from the backdoor to the garage and back again, the light is off and I have to leap around to get the PIR to 'notice' me and turn back on again. So I could replace the PIR sensor or just get rid.
They do have adjustments for time and sensitivity.
Are they both on minimum? Obviously it could just be faulty.

Thanks again for the advice. I have put a wire link from the 2nd to the 4th pair of terminals (using a short length of insulated wire taken from a mains flex). The switch now turns on/off the light and it stays on as long as the switch is on and only turns off via the switch. Exactly as I want! The sensor itself is 20 years old and pretty cruddy. I have fiddled with the adjustment screws but the maximum on-time is not long enough and the sensitivity setting is duff. I think I will just leave it at that. Someone could always replace the sensor in future if so desired.

The dog and I thank you all for your interest.

No, not a link. Move the red wire from one terminal to the other.

Edit - it won't alter the function but it will remove the power from the PIR part.

Last edited:
Ok. Removed link. Moved red wire from 2nd to the 4th pair of terminals as you have advised. Thank you.

but, seeing how it is wired, if you want to, you could remove the PIR and cable from light altogether by altering the wiring at the light.

Not that it matters now, I took it from the first post , he has not located the other end of the 3 core and there is only ONE cable at the light, personally I think the "3 plate wiring" has been done at the switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back