Bypassing outdoor PIR sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have 2 outdoor lights which have recently been installed, with a separate PIR sensor controlling both of them which turns them on after dark etc etc. This is controlled by a switch indoors which turns the whole lot on or off. Pretty standard.

I want to now, for a particular reason, remove or bypass the PIR sensor, so that the 2 outdoor lights are controlled solely on/off by the switch. I can't think of an easy way to do this because if I remove the PIR sensor, I don't know how to safely connect the wires back together outdoors (and so that it looks nice, this is the front of our house), and also with the PIR sensor being there anyway, it would be nice to keep it in place for future use and when we move, if the owners would like to use it.

The PIR doesn't have a bypass or override on/off on/off way of manually bypassing it, but that is not what I want anyway, as that is just temporary, I need it to be like the PIR is not even there. Can I use the PIR as a "junction box" in effect so that it remains in place but has no effect? Alternatively is there another way of removing it an replacing it with something that would work for what I need?

Thanks

PS the reason I want to do this is because I am installing a z-wave module on this light switch so the light can be added to my HA system and can be turned on and off by my astronomically aware controller etc.

Sponsored Links
The PIR sensor will have a wiring terminal for the 'live supply' which will be fed via the light switch, and also a wiring terminal for the 'switched live' that goes out to the lights.

All you have to do is remove the wires from both of these terminals and connect them together. The sensor will then be inoperative and the switch will control the lights.

If there isn't enough room to fit an extra connector, you could simply wire a link between the two terminals. In this instance the PIR will be powered when the switch is 'on' but won't be controlling the lights.

ok so presumably if there are 2 lights (and they both terminate at the PIR sensor), then I just connect all of the same wires from each cable into a terminal block or similar?

More often than not, only one light is wired to the PIR and then the second light connected to the first.

It's only the lives you will be connecting together. Leave the neutrals as they are.

Here's something similar to what you should have inside the PIR.

You can connect the lives together using an insulated screw terminal connector

....or if there's no space, link the live terminals together. In this option the PIR sensor will still be powered when the light switch is on.

If there are two cables going out to the lights, then treat them both the same. I would doubt this, because there is often not a lot of space to connect so many cables inside a PIR sensor, but I have seen it done.

If you are unsure about anything, post back here with a photo or sketch of what you have and someone will be able to advise you further. Not all PIR's are identical, and they may be wired differently based on the location of the switch, PIR and lights, as well as the preferences of the installer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, this is quite helpful. I will go out and have a look at the wiring in the PIR when it stop raining.

On a related note, the device I need to add for zwave automation control can (and is better) to effectively replace the PIR with, its a relay switch basically that is controlled via the HA system. Most people are saying that it is fine to put in an IP rated enclosure and replace the PIR on the wall with that, but does anyone know of a slightly more attractive external enclosure that can go on the outside of the house and not look too bad?

Thanks

image.jpeg
image.jpeg Hi stem
I was reading your post on how to bypass the sensor on a pir light. Your diagram says to link the live from the switch to the switch live going to the light. I have looked at the wiring in my pir and it seems to have 2 live wires coming from the switch. Could you tell me how I bypass the sensor in this instance please. I have uploaded a photo so hopefully this will help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back