Outdoor PIR Sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I have just moved into a house where there's a PIR sensor fitted just above the front door, but for some reason motion doesn't seem to trigger it. The sensor has three controls - timer, LUX and range.

The outdoor lights can be turned on permanently using a light switch in the hallway. Turning the switch on and then off seems to activate the timer and LUX controls in that the lights come on if it's dark enough and for a specific period of time. However, the motion detection doesn't seem to work - I have played with the range and this doesn't seem to work. The wiring seems simple enough so it's not as if the previous owners have 'disconnected' the motion sensor.

Could it be that the motion sensor has just blown and I need to buy a new one. Or does the way in which it's wired (i.e. turning on/off the light switch) potentially mean the motion sensor won't work anyway?

I'd be really grateful for any help - this is driving me crazy!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Could it be that the motion sensor has just blown and I need to buy a new one.
Probably.
Or does the way in which it's wired (i.e. turning on/off the light switch) potentially mean the motion sensor won't work anyway?
No. If the light sensor works then so should the motion sensor.

OK, many thanks. I'll buy a new sensor and see if it works then. Thanks again.

So I have been to B&Q and installed a new sensor - unfortunately it doesn't work either :(

There are four wires coming from the cable (including a bare earth): blue, brown and yellow. I have wired the blue to blue in the sensor; the red to brown and the yellow to white.

On the light switch, if I turn it on and off, the light stays on for 5 seconds, then goes out. But if I walk in front of the sensor it still doesn't trigger the light.

Could I have gotten my wiring wrong?

Really appreciate your help on this!

Sponsored Links
So I have been to B&Q and installed a new sensor - unfortunately it doesn't work either :(
Most (I think) allow the sensor to work in the daytime by turning all the adjusters to minimum.
Of course your light may not have this feature.

There are four wires coming from the cable (including a bare earth): blue, brown and yellow. I have wired the blue to blue in the sensor; the red to brown and the yellow to white.
Cables do not come in Blue,Brown,Yellow.
So your description is unclear.
Follow the instructions and the wiring in the switch.
Wires can be used for anything you want. They do not know what colour they are.

On the light switch, if I turn it on and off, the light stays on for 5 seconds, then goes out. But if I walk in front of the sensor it still doesn't trigger the light.
Do you not mean 'off and on'?
That sounds correct if the timer adjustment is at 'minimum' (as above) but if the lux adjuster is not at 'minimum' the motion sensor will not work until it is dark.

Is that what you meant in the original post? - that it doesn't work in the daytime?

Could I have gotten my wiring wrong?
Of course.

Many thanks for the reply.

The sensor does have a LUX setting and it's set to minimum, so the sensor should trigger in daylight.

Forgive me, the wire colours are red, blue and yellow, plus a bare earth. The wiring diagram that came with the sensor suggests that there should be another cable coming in for the light, but I only have one cable as above?

No - I mean 'on and off'. If I turn the light switch on, the lights stay on permanently. If I turn it back off again, then the timer kicks in - at this point, once the timer has turned the lights off, I would expect the motion sensor to kick it - but it doesn't.

Ah well - then it will NOT work.

The switch should be left on.

When you first turn on the light will stay on for the set time and then revert to automatic mode.

Thank you. Any idea then why if I turn the switch on, the light stays on permanently and only reverts to the timer, when I flick the switch the other way?

This is the same as with the sensor that I've just replaced - and I copied the wiring from that one. Many thanks for this.

Thank you. Any idea then why if I turn the switch on, the light stays on permanently and only reverts to the timer, when I flick the switch the other way?
That suggests that the wiring is wrong.

Swap the Red and Yellow.

I have swapped red and yellow and it works!!

However, if I flick the switch one way the light stays on permanently and if it switch it the other way, then the sensor is activated. This is actually perfect for my needs, but just checking that it's what you would expect to happen?

Many thanks - a great puzzle solved!

It depends what you want.

Most can be turned on permanently by switching 'off,on,off,on'
and permanently off by switching off.

If this way suits you, that's ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back