Replace normal switch with pir switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm looking to replace a normal light switch with a pir switch on my downstairs WC, which also has an extractor fan that comes on with the light.

This is the switch I found and attached are the pictures of the current install.

Can it be done?

Motion Sensor Switch with Occupancy Sensor/Vacancy Sensor/On-Off Switch,Pir Motion Sensor Light Switch with Time Delay&LUX Setting Adjustable,5A,AC110~265V,PC Fireproof(Neutral Wire Required) https://amzn.eu/d/5XIXd01

PXL_20230905_191711601.MP.jpg

PXL_20230905_191800113.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes it can be done.

3 brown in COM are permanent line
Brown and black in L1 are switched line
The blue wires in the separate connector are neutral.

Buying electrical items direct from China via Amazon is not recommended.

Thanks @flameport.

I'll keep looking to see if I can find a similar product that's not from China.

Sponsored Links
@ericmark the problem I'm trying to solve is that the light is constantly left on. Any other suggestions?

It might be possible to separate the L`s and the N`s for the extractor and for the light.
Therefore you could have a PIR switch for the light only and a manual switch for the fan only

I have one in my downstairs wc. For exactly the same reason (light always being left on)
I just need to wave my hand if I sit too long!

Hint. For small room
Set PIR time for 10mins. Set fan timer to minimum.

It seems the switches are available local this link shows one however not sure if it helps. The problem is knowing which can work a fan with the back EMF without damage to the switch.

Why is this an issue?
Unless something unusual is being done with the way it's wired the back EMF doesn't have a path outside the fan or it's 'snubbed' by the whole of the DNO's network.

Why is this an issue?
Unless something unusual is being done with the way it's wired the back EMF doesn't have a path outside the fan or it's 'snubbed' by the whole of the DNO's network.
Eric always like to throw in a curved ball. In a while we'll get a 55,000 word dissertation on back EMF. :rolleyes:

What's your view on installing ceiling mounted pir between the switch and light (instead of the pir switch)?
It depends on the wiring. Looking at the switch, you may not have all the connections that you need at the light. You’ll need a perm live, switched live and neutral. The fan will have those connections but you may need to do some configuration of cables.

It depends on the wiring. Looking at the switch, you may not have all the connections that you need at the light. You’ll need a perm live, switched live and neutral. The fan will have those connections but you may need to do some configuration of cables.
Sounds like I'd have to get someone in to do that. I'm thinking I'll try the switch you've suggested first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back