PIR switches on/off light but not extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People are always leaving the light on in the downstairs loo, so I picked up a PIR motion sensor on eBay as a straight replacement for the light switch.

It was easy to install and worked perfectly with the light.

However, the fan - which has a timer to run for a short while after the light has been switched off - stays on permanently after the light goes off with the PIR switch installed.

it's not the fan, as I have replaced this in any case. The problem remains.

And advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you replaced the fan as well, you have mixed up the live and switched live in either the switch of the light.

Open either, and swap the two lives around.

i guess there is just enough current flowing to make the fan think the light is still on.

Think I've been stupid. When I got the replacement fan I should have got one without a timer!

The PIR swith has it's own delay timer on it and I could have relied on this.

I'm now wondering if there's a way to disable the timer on the extractor

Sponsored Links
Hi Breezer,

I tried connecting live and switched live together and the fan (and light!) stayed on permanently. If I disconnected either then the fan did not come at all.

Remove the permanent live - you want only the switched live which connects to both the live and switched live terminals.

i see how what i typed does not read as i meant :oops:
I meant connect the live and switched live at the fan, so the switch switches on the live and swithed live. ill get my coat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back