Replace normal switch with pir switch

Sounds like I'd have to get someone in to do that. I'm thinking I'll try the switch you've suggested first.
You are unlikely to find all the wiring you require at the light but it is all at the fan isolator switch (or at the fan if there is no isolator switch).

Sponsored Links
the problem I'm trying to solve is that the light is constantly left on. Any other suggestions?
Stick an LED lamp in the light. A PIR switch will use power 24 hours a day for the sensor circuit. You might as well use that power for the LED lamp and hope that sometimes people will switch it off.

Stick an LED lamp in the light. A PIR switch will use power 24 hours a day for the sensor circuit. You might as well use that power for the LED lamp and hope that sometimes people will switch it off.
You crazy person. I did a bit of research. Data shows that

PIR motion sensor, power consumption is approx 40µA

That’s tiny compared to an LED.

That's changed a lot in the last dozen or so years, one office block I worked in had ladies and gents toilets on 5 floors with 4 or 5 CFL's in each. As a cost saving exercise they fitted 3 or 4 PIR's in each (due to layout) to prevent the lights being on for about 12 hours a day 5 days a week. IIRC in those days PIR's were about 2W so about a constant 90W 24/7 added. Sadly the lights were on for a substantial period every day due to the regular users and the energy consumption rose considerably.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

But the LED can be switched off most of the time and will then consume nothing. The OP really only seems to be trying to prevent the light being left on accidentally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back