Kanlux motion sensor IP44 BLACK 165 DEGREE OUTDOOR PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently bought the Kanlux motion sensor for an outdoor light.

The only problem is that when it’s switched on it stays on ! The switch for the sensor is inside the house.

Coming out of the wall where the sensor is mounted are two circuit cables. Each cable has a brown and blue cable within it.
What I did – I joined the two brown cables coming out of the wall together and wired them into the available opening in the brown part of the terminal block within the sensor. Likewise with the blue cables. There is no other cables coming out of the wall.

Within the sensor there is a brown , blue and red cable going into the terminal block.

I have tried all the switches to adjust lux and time but it just stays on.
The light itself is independent of the sensor.

Could you let me know if I am wiring it wrong or if you think the sensor may be faulty.

Many thanks

GerryPi

Sponsored Links
You have wired it incorrectly.

How did you expect it to work when you have joined the two cables together?

Surely the item was supplied with instructions on how to connect it?

I assume the lamp is not where the sensor is.

If that is the case then one of the two cables coming out of the wall is probably live and neutral from the switch, the supply. The other cable is likely to go to the lamp.

The brown and blue in the sensor are live and neutral supply. The red is switched live from the PIR's internal switch.

You MUST find which of the cables is he lamp cable and which is the supply cable. The supply cable goes to sensor brown and blue. The lamp cable goes to sensor red and blue.

Do you have a multi-meter ?

I assume the lamp is not where the sensor is.

If that is the case then one of the two cables coming out of the wall is probably live and neutral from the switch, the supply. The other cable is likely to go to the lamp.

The brown and blue in the sensor are live and neutral supply. The red is switched live from the PIR's internal switch.

You MUST find which of the cables is he lamp cable and which is the supply cable. The supply cable goes to sensor brown and blue. The lamp cable goes to sensor red and blue.

Do you have a multi-meter ?

Thank you Bernard

How do I find out which of the cables is the lamp cable please.

I've no idea what a multi meter is.

You are correct - the lamp is away from the sensor

Sponsored Links
A multi-meter is test instrument that enables you to measure voltage and resistance. A low cost one such as

http://www.maplin.co.uk/domestic-multimeter-37279

is adequate for most domestic DIY work but before use read the instructions carefully.

With the power ON measure the voltage between the brown and blue wires in each cable. Be careful not to let the two wires touch as you measure them. One cable should have a voltage between 230 and 250 . That is the supply cable and connects to blue and brown on the sensor.

Alternatively with the power OFF and a filament lamp in the lamp measure the resistance between the brown and blue wires in each cable. One cable will give a low resistance ( less than 200 ohms depending on type of lamp ) Confirm the test by taking the lamp out and measuring again. The resistance should then be very high ( more than several thousand ohms ). That is the lamp cable and connects to the blue and red of the sensor.

The supply cable may have a resistance but it will not vary when the lamp is removed.

DO NOT measure resistance with the power ON

A multi-meter is test instrument that enables you to measure voltage and resistance. A low cost one such as

is adequate for most domestic DIY work but before use read the instructions carefully.

Have you looked inside one of those lately?

At least recommend something slightly better built:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ut-30b-digital-compact-multimeter-46498 (yes, it's cheaper, it's also probably a lot better than a DT830B. Those things can be had for as little as £2)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ut-132a-digital-multimeter-with-square-wave-generator-518506

No, but I assume it is ( just ) useable for occasional testing but I would not consider it suitable for measuriing where better than 5% accuracy was needed. ( or 10% )

I used that link as I had Maplin's page already open for something else.

No, but I assume it is ( just ) useable for occasional testing but I would not consider it suitable for measuriing where better than 5% accuracy was needed. ( or 10% )

Having not only looked inside those, but seen them fail, I would never put one across 250VAC with my hands on it, in any mode.

This is what they look like inside: http://www.1stincity.com/2841-7303-...-voltmeter-ammeter-ohm-multimeter-cpc820n.jpg

Note the lack of fuse (for some reason, normally there's a glass fuse which is entirely incapable of containing a fault by itself), PTC, MOV, or any input protection other than a resistor. Also note how the inputs are on a seperate board which is attached by nothing more than some blobs of solder.

What I did – I joined the two brown cables coming out of the wall together and wired them into the available opening in the brown part of the terminal block within the sensor. Likewise with the blue cables.
You clearly don't know the first thing about electrical circuits, what makes a complete one, what switches do etc.

That's a very bad basis on which to do electrical work. This time all that's happened is that a light is on all of the time, but it is quite possible to kill yourself by ignorant guesswork with wiring things up.

Please take the time to learn how things work before doing any more fiddling about.

With the power ON measure the voltage between the brown and blue wires in each cable. Be careful not to let the two wires touch as you measure them. One cable should have a voltage between 230 and 250 . That is the supply cable and connects to blue and brown on the sensor.

Alternatively with the power OFF and a filament lamp in the lamp measure the resistance between the brown and blue wires in each cable. One cable will give a low resistance ( less than 200 ohms depending on type of lamp ) Confirm the test by taking the lamp out and measuring again. The resistance should then be very high ( more than several thousand ohms ). That is the lamp cable and connects to the blue and red of the sensor.

The supply cable may have a resistance but it will not vary when the lamp is removed.

DO NOT measure resistance with the power ON

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back