Am I allowed to wire outside lights this way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install two half lanterns on the front of my house which will come on and off with a timer. I already have a dedicated outside light feed from the distribution board with a 6am fuse. I am wondering if it is ok to (1) Connect the 6A feed to standard single socket in the garage next to the distribution board, (2) Plug a timer switch in to the socket, (3) Plug the outside lights in to the socket via a standard 13A plug. I was going to wire the two lights back to a function box using 1.5mm twin and earth. I would then run 3 core flex from here to put the plug on to. I would then plug this in to the timer/socket.

Another option would be to put the lights on a PIR sensor. I actually have a light switch in the house on the other side of the garage wall. If I had the PIR sensor I wonder if it would be possible to use the indoor switch as an override so that the lights could be switched permanently on?

I was told that it would be ok for me to complete the work. Is this correct or would it fall under regulations and need to be completed by electrician.

Sorry for all the questions and many thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
The pir would be the best option.
The existing switch can be used with most pirs as an override.

If u still want a timer you can get light switches with a built in timer ( although u need to be careful about the bulb u use outside)

Or hard wire a timer in, in the garage.

The work you describe is not notifiable - but virtually nothing is anyway.

If you want a timer, get a wired in type - no need for a socket or plug. Connect both to the timer, a junction box is not needed either.

Most PIR sensors have an override built in, and can be used with a normal switch.

1.0mm cable will be fine and much easier to fit into the tiny terminals on the light fittings.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to everybody for the info - I think I will use the hardwired timer in the garage - just need to find a timer that will work with lower energy light bulbs. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back