Installing 150 watt PIR lights to an outdoor socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

This is my first time on a forum like this and hope you can help with my query.
I have recently bought two 150 watt pir security lights. I would like to wire these up to two three pin plugs with a 3 amp fuse. I am thinking of using three core 1.5 mm armoured cable. I have bought a outdoor double socket that has a 13 amp fuse in it and will connect this to my indoor plug socket by drilling a hole through the kitchen wall. The outdoor plug socket that connects indoor has an RCD plug attached to it. I am looking to only have this switched on at night times as a security deterrent.
Would this be ok and safe to do and am I breaching any regulations.
Advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You are not going to be able to connect a 13A plug to SWA cable and I doubt the light fitting would also accept a SWA.
There would be no breach in regulation by connecting a light to a plug via a flex.
The flex must be one that is suitable for the environment, also the flex should be clipped to wall to prevent stress to cable and termination. Also where plugged in, you must allow at least 150mm from finished floor level to socket centre, to prevent damage to plug and flex, plus avoid any slack on flex that could cause a trip hazard.

It is not the best set up, personally I would have the connection within the property via a fused double pole isolator.
This would offer ease of control within the property and prevent mischievous disconnection from outside.

The outdoor socket is the same as the picture I am enclosing. This is wired up to a RCD plug that will be plugged into the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
So the socket will be fused via the RCD adaptor socket.

Still not something I would use, as previous post I would try to bring the connections inside of property, rather than plugged outside.

Thank you all for your input. I haven't seen any other posts on the Internet regarding my query. Is this something that I can do without causing any danger to anyone and is it something that would need to be checked for legal reasons. I thought that having an RCD plug would be the only thing connecting to the actual household mains and if anything were to go wrong then the RCD would just shut it all down. Apologies if I am going on a bit. Also what thickness wire would I need to use as I will probably need 10m of it Due to placing one of the lights at the front of the house and what fuse amp to put in the actual plug that will be wired up to the Pir Light.

Thank you in advance

Will the RCD plug fit the socket and allow the lid to shut?
Why not get an RCD socket?

Is there RCD protection on the circuit already?
Why do you need armoured cable?

Why not do it properly?

I am trying to save money by doing it myself. The black RCD plug that you can see if the picture is already wired up to the outside plug socket box, this is how it is meant to be. The RCD plug will be plugged into the normal house mains socket in the kitchen. There is a double socket that I will use to plug in the two plugs from the the two pir lights, so the lid will shut correctly as they will only be two standard plugs in there.

I know it sounds like I am going around the houses with this. I just wanted to do it in a way that would mean I would not need to wire up the electrics inside the house and disturb anything as I am not qualified in that way. I thought by using a RCD plug as the only piece of equipment that would be entering the house

The RCD plug will be plugged into the normal house mains socket in the kitchen. There is a double socket that I will use to plug in the two plugs from the the two pir lights, so the lid will shut correctly as they will only be two standard plugs in there.
Ah.sorry, I misunderstood.

Your PIR lights are only going to require a 1A fuse to allow for current demand.
0.75mm three core flex that is suitable for the conditions, such a solar, frost, flora, fauna and possible mechanical damage.

So very likely 0.75mm flex and 3A fuse will be suitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back