Using outdoor socket permanently?

tulua-iii-2x-5w-3000k-led-up-down-wall-light-with-pir-sensor

That type of fitting often doesn't have any facility/aperture for entering a surface cable. They tend to be designed as rear entry.

Sponsored Links
no not regularity.

Usually I would fit an FCU next to a double socket, (to allow for isolation if water gets in light) and to fuse sensibly. And then drill out the back of it to a light.

The light will probably be too high for the PIR to work sensibly!

Any reason not to situate the FCU outside?

Because it will look ridiculous?:p You can do if you want to though.

But, if that ever gets water in it and causes nuisance trips, you can't isolate it without opening up the double socket and disconnecting the wires. Keeping the FCU indoors means you are able to completely isolate all the outdoor bits with the switch.

Sponsored Links
I guess I’ve confused matters by calling it a “security light”, this was my original intention when I started this thread weeks ago. But since then, it’s main purpose will now be to light an new paved around round the side of the house where the wheelie bin and recycling containers will be stored. So the light doesn’t need to be situated out of reach.
It also doesn't need to come on every time a cat/fox/badger/muntjac/whatever wanders past.

Put a non-PIR light on a switch then you can turn it on when you need it and off when you don't.

Just to match the other outside lights on my house and the others on the development.
No need to perpetuate bad practice, surely?

I would suggest simply not putting a bulb in the top section, but you've chosen a light with non-replaceable LED modules...

It also doesn't need to come on every time a cat/fox/badger/muntjac/whatever wanders past.

Put a non-PIR light on a switch then you can turn it on when you need it and off when you don't.
It’s a very good point your make and I’m all for reducing light pollution. But I can’t see how I’d add a switch unless it’s one of those outdoor ones. I wouldn’t really want a wall switch in the living room - it’s in the external wall of the living room that the light will be mounted.

No need to perpetuate bad practice, surely?

I would suggest simply not putting a bulb in the top section, but you've chosen a light with non-replaceable LED modules...
Good idea, easy to do that. The bulbs are replacement - if “led modules” means bulbs.

"LED modules" probably does mean something like "bulbs".

But "Non Replaceable" does not mean anything like "replaceable".

upload_2019-5-4_19-43-7.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back