Using outdoor socket permanently?

You can have 2 spurs from the socket inside the house. You cannot connect a second socket to the existing external socket if it is already a spur from the internal socket.
Assuming the internal circuit actually is a ring final, of course.

Sponsored Links
this would save me having to drill a hole.

I doubt they drilled through large enough to fit two cables. There are still better ways of doing this.

Add a second cable for the outside socket, to make it part of the ring. Then you can spur from the outside socket.

Do you want a switch for this lamp, or do you want it always on(but via the PIR)?

Personally I consider 1 light such an insignificant load I would happily spur it off a spur without concern!

If you think about it. 26A for a double socket + 1A for light = 27A rating of 2.5mm cable. So ok.

If you were going to have 500W lights it maybe a concern.

Upto 240W is fine.

I doubt they drilled through large enough to fit two cables. There are still better ways of doing this.

Add a second cable for the outside socket, to make it part of the ring. Then you can spur from the outside socket.

Do you want a switch for this lamp, or do you want it always on(but via the PIR)?
Ah I see, so basically make the existing outside

Ah I see, so basically make the outdoor socket part of the ring rather than a spur?

Then add a spur from the outside socket.

I’m not qualified - am I allowed to do that?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ah I see, so basically make the existing outside

Ah I see, so basically make the outdoor socket part of the ring rather than a spur?

Then add a spur from the outside socket.

Many thanks.
Sorry didn’t reply to your other question, I don’t need a switch, it’ll be always on via PIR

Personally I would NOT want the external socket to be part of the ring.

I would want it as a spur via a double pole switched FCU to allow for it to be completely isolated when not in use, damaged or water logged.

Yes.

I don’t need a switch
If you are planning to use 1.0mm flex(mentioned previously), then you will need a fuse though.

You would be so much better off intercepting the cables that go down to your inside socket, higher up the wall, and adding an FCU to the ring and drilling through to outside from there. No need to faff with the outside socket at all then. If your house is timber framed, this can be done with no making good needed at all on the inside.

May I suggest do it properly and either connect the security light to the lighting circuit or take a spur from an upstairs socket.

May I suggest do it properly and either connect the security light to the lighting circuit or take a spur from an upstairs socket.
I can’t see how I’d access the lighting circuit, there aren’t any cables close to the wall.

What’s the reason for using an upstairs spur instead of downstairs? I could do this as there is a socket in bedroom upstairs close to where the light will be situated. Just interested as to why upstairs?

What’s the reason for using an upstairs spur instead of downstairs?
Becausen that's where the light will be.

I could do this as there is a socket in bedroom upstairs close to where the light will be situated.?
upload_2019-5-4_14-8-3.png

I guess some people don’t have the confidence or tools to drill through a 1ft wall.

I can understand this.

Lovly job when done correctly though.

I guess some people don’t have the confidence or tools to drill through a 1ft wall.

I can understand this.

Lovly job when done correctly though.
I installed a light over Easter at the front of the house, had to drill a hole through the wall for that.

I was just interested in why the light should be fed from an upstairs socket, whether it a was a regulatory thing.

I guess I’ve confused matters by calling it a “security light”, this was my original intention when I started this thread weeks ago. But since then, it’s main purpose will now be to light an new paved around round the side of the house where the wheelie bin and recycling containers will be stored. So the light doesn’t need to be situated out of reach. Apologies, I’ll be more specific next time.

So, a spur with an FCU and all good. Job for next weekend, thanks for the help all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back