Power to shed

PE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Have read some of the old posts re providing power to shed and just have one query with regards to armoured cable. If the cable is out of reach against a fence behind flowerbeds which are deep and covered by bushes and trees ie noone using the garden is ever likely to even know they are there yet alone touch them, would this be OK with new regs?

Otherwise the alternative would be to run the cable fixed to concrete fence posts (or obviously burying it which really is not a commercially viable option without uprooting the whole garden!)

Not trying to get round the regs just need to know what options are for a compliant job

Thanks

Sponsored Links
none of them are particularly appealling to me, but i have to say the next best thing you mention after digging, is fixing to the concrete fence panels.

Hiding it in bushes is not acceptable i'm afraid.

Theres no new electrical regs, but Part P of the building regs now governs electrical work in domestic properties. Search the forum for it if you dont already know about part p - you NEED to know.

crafty1289 said:
none of them are particularly appealling to me, but i have to say the next best thing you mention after digging, is fixing to the concrete fence panels.

Hiding it in bushes is not acceptable i'm afraid.

Theres no new electrical regs, but Part P of the building regs now governs electrical work in domestic properties. Search the forum for it if you dont already know about part p - you NEED to know.

Thanks for reply - what would you suggest doing as you say none of the options are particularly appealing? Yes Part P is what I was referring to when I said new regs, sorry!

All suggestions welcomed!

The fence would need to be a permanent structure - not a flimsy wooden thing :)

Do you mean attach the cable to the concrete posts with no support in between? What distance apart are the posts?

If burying the cable is not possible what about using a catenary wire?

PartP will mean this is a notifiable job

Sponsored Links
the_jinj said:
The fence would need to be a permanent structure - not a flimsy wooden thing :)

Do you mean attach the cable to the concrete posts with no support in between? What distance apart are the posts?

If burying the cable is not possible what about using a catenary wire?

PartP will mean this is a notifiable job

Yes its permanent! Solid concrete posts with the slot in panels type fencing. Width of each panel I believe is 6ft

Is the catenary wire an overhead type system (like on railways?) - if so that doesn't appeal aesthetically and surely present more of a risk when carrying ladders etc from the side of the house with a wire hanging above you?!! Excuse my ignorance if that is wrong!

Yes a catenary wire is an overhead line the cable attaches to - works well depending on cable size.
The problem is that the fence between the posts isn't classed as a permanent fixture so isn't really suitable for fixing to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back