Powerflush OR Remove each radiator and hose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, winter is coming, central heating still not working and so its time to my thread that I started last year.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=154465

Still only 4 of the 9 rads get hot/warm. So the problem is the same as I left it, however I am now doing some decorating and all of the 5 offending radiatiors are coming out so I can paint behind them. I have already flushed out 2 in the garden using a pressure washer and put them back on and filled them , but NOT opened the valves. I am waiting until I have done the other cold rads before I open them all up. BTW I am checking that water comes through the valves when the rads are off so I know the pipes arent blocked.

Now the questions is, by flushing each rad out individually , will this be as good as doing a powerflush?

Also my pump is noisy.

Sponsored Links
no because it doesn't include the boiler and pipework, but its a damn site cheaper ;)
But if the water is flowing out of the pipes (valves) once the rads removed, does this not indicate that the pipes are not blocked?

Also my pump is noisy.

that could be a big part of your problem.
I will look into changing that once ive flushed the rads, Im afraid of getting crap in the pump though.

But if the water is flowing out of the pipes (valves) once the rads removed, does this not indictae that the pipies are not blocked?
it tells you its not blocked, but not if its restricted. Its very rare for pipes to get completely blocked. If you've run some cleaner in the system, it may be ok.
yes, but they didnt get hot before i desludged, I will look inot changing that once ive flushed the rads, Im afraid of getting crap in the pump though.
If the pump gets blocked up, you may be able to clean it out, by removing the head and poking out the garbage. It may be worth checking it anyway to see if thats your problem. A new pump wouldn't be a bad idea when your finished anyhow.

Sponsored Links
If it is easy enough to do, stick the rads in the garden, and connect them to the cold mains to flush them out. Do it in different positions, "normal", lying flat, upside down.
It is not an alternative for a chemical flush or a powerflush, but it helps.

And unless you added inhibitor to the rads you have 'flushed' and refilled they will have been rusting away nicely..........always great to hear from an Op who likes to 'save' money.......... :rolleyes:

And unless you added inhibitor to the rads you have 'flushed' and refilled they will have been rusting away nicely..........always great to hear from an Op who likes to 'save' money.......... :rolleyes:
I always add inhibitor to the system whener i do a drain down. I normally put some straight into the rad seeing as how the water is not getting pumped to te rads anyway.

turned off the 4 working rads, and turned on the 5 offending rads which i have sense cleaned out properly with a pressure washer. The cleaned out rads are still not getting hot, neither are the pipes.

1. Next thing to try is my dodgy sounding pump, ill take the housing off this weekend and see what there.

2. Or it could be that some of the pipes are blocked, however i checked the flow when i took the rads off and they seemed good.

3. combination of 1 & 2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back