Powering up Car CD Player to eject CD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a problem with the Sony CD player on my car radio/cassette/CD player so I bought a complete new unit which I've just installed.

The only mistake I made was forgetting to remove one of my CDs from the old unit before removing it from the car. So now the CD is stuck inside the old unit and I somehow need to power the unit up so that I can eject the CD ! :rolleyes: I have an old car battery I can use for this purpose.

I have the wiring diagram for the unit so I know which pins are the continuous power supply and switched power supply ( I assume that both of those are + ). I also know which pin is the earth.

Am I correct in guessing that I need to get positive on the switched power supply and negative (as the car is negative earth) on the earth to power up the unit ? ( Or do car radio/cassette/CD players usually get their negative supply via the casing's connection to the car body ? ) Excuse my ignorance ! .:oops:

Hope someone can advise me - Thanks in advance ! . :)

Sponsored Links
You can use either the wire or the casing to earth the set.

Thanks - I'll get some wiring done and have a play tomorrow - Was really annoyed that I forgot to eject the CD and a cassette before removing the old unit ! . :oops:

is there a pinhole visible (usually) just under the CD aperture?

if so (they are usually provided on CD drives for PCs) you can eject the CD in an emergency by pushing a steel rod of 0.5mm diameter through the hole.

A steel rod of 0.5mm diameter can be manufactured by straightening a paper clip.

Sponsored Links
is there a pinhole visible (usually) just under the CD aperture?

if so (they are usually provided on CD drives for PCs) you can eject the CD in an emergency by pushing a steel rod of 0.5mm diameter through the hole.

A steel rod of 0.5mm diameter can be manufactured by straightening a paper clip.

Thanks for the suggestion but there's no pinhole. Absolutely everything is electronic. You can't even eject the cassette without having the unit powered up.

Just take it to a car radio retailer, and they can attach it to a rig, to eject the CD, they should do it for free.

Or use a 'lego block' connector on the loom to attach the battery, eject, job done. (when the radio is removed from car obviously!)

Car radios aren't like computer CD drives, with the emergency eject, as the mechanism is floated on dampers, so physically removing the CD would result in the CD snapping the CD head off, and possibly break the disk. But if you opened the unit up, you could rewind the mechanics inside, to eject the disk. It sounds like a Sony double DIN unit, which are really unreliable pieces of carp, so best to be shut of it...

Now the burning question is, WHAT CD is to be retrieved, that is so worth it? Why not download a new version?

My guess is Steps - The album? Any takers? Before the OP replies? :LOL:

Back