PP and BR- anyone got any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping to do a garage conversion, turning an integral garage into 2/3 living room and 1/3 garage (keeping the up and over door).

We'll obviously need a new window in the new living room, and a new dividing wall between the rooms (no door). Obvs it will have to have a fire rating as it will separate a living room from what remains 'a garage'.

We will need PP. I am 100% sure about this. Before anyone asks!

The Q I have is: Where do BR come into this? At what stage? I will submit my plans/map/drawings/Biodiversity checklist (!) etc to get PP but nowhere am I required to tell the council what my new internal wall will be made of.

2 scenarios:

-I'm supposed somewhere in the application to tell them that the work will comply to Parts whatever of the BR; ('new internal wall will consist of' etc)

-or the Council will come back to us to say Yes, you can have PP providing that your work meets Parts whatever of the BR.

Which will happen? Who makes the BR 'statement'? Them or us? I am confused because some people are saying 'Minor work like this is either done under PP or BR, not both', but what's to stop me, as I have to go down the PP route, making my internal wall out of papier mache? If nowhere am I required to state such things?

Sponsored Links
You seem to be confusing Planning and Building Regs.
Planning will not be concerned about what you build your dividing wall out of.
That is a Building Regs matter.
Panning are only concerned about the proposal in principle (and not the constructional details)
Buulding Regs are only concerned with applying the regs, which chiefly concern health/safety issues, and insulation etc.
You seem to be worrying too much about the distinction.

Who's going to check I've complied with BR?

A Council inspector?

Do they come and inspect all work, however (relatively) minor?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back