Garage Semi Conversion to Gym/Music Room - BR Required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've done a search and am getting mixed messages from the responses about whether BR would or wouldn't apply to what I want to do and thought I'd check here before getting the Local Council involved.

I have a small detached garage of approximately 15-20 square meters that has a normal garage door at one end and a side entrance door in the middle.

I plan to stick up a stud wall around the middle of the garage and also on the three other internal walls, fully insulate the walls, ceiling and floor so as to create a soundproof gym / music room. Does this then fall under a "habitable" room as there will be no heating, sofa or beds in it etc.

I am not planning on bricking up the existing garage door, this will still be useable and the other half of the garage will still be a storage area etc as it is now.

Does it need to adhere to BR?

If you need any more information on the plan then I'll do my best to answer it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
My view is that any garage conversion, part or full would require a BR application. However, I have seen somewhere else that if a garage is detached and you convert that (like in your case), then people said it’s treated as an outbuilding of which BR’s wouldn’t normally apply. So because of that, I’m now in two minds o_O

However, the below is food for thought...

https://www.labc.co.uk/news/garage-conversion-tips-from-our-building-control-experts

My view is that any garage conversion, part or full would require a BR application. However, I have seen somewhere else that if a garage is detached and you convert that (like in your case), then people said it’s treated as an outbuilding of which BR’s wouldn’t normally apply. So because of that, I’m now in two minds o_O

However, the below is food for thought...

https://www.labc.co.uk/news/garage-conversion-tips-from-our-building-control-experts
That was my thought as well. I did just notice on that link you provided that one of the comment replies specifically says a detached garage doesn't need BR to be converted apart from the electrics and they are already in there so that won't be an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back