When does a carport become a garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have PP to rebuild an old flat roof car port attached to the side of our property. The original was only open at the front so, under current BR’s, would not be classed as a car port at all but the new brick built replacement will be under a pitched pantile roof with new screed & DPM & up & over doors at each end to provide through access to the rear garden where I have a workshop (classic car restoration).

Any comments as to weather LABC would class this as a carport & exempt from BR’s or a garage requiring BR submission :?: ;)

Sponsored Links
Not sure how you can call it a car port (clutching at straws there I think)? You are building three walls are you not and the front and rear walls happen to have large openings. I think if two were open you could class it as a car port. I believe (assuming it is classed as a garage) some authorities state that once you attach it structurally to the house it needs Building Regs Approval. I've spoken to my own LA about this previously and have been told once its attached (structurally or otherwise) Regs need to be complied with, that said there have been posters on here who have enquired to their local BC and have been told not to bother with Approval. Bit of a grey area for me tbh, would be interested to hear from others to see if there's a definitive rule.

When alls said and done though I doubt BC are gonna slap an infringement notice on the property.

Thanks FMT. I’ve have checked the Regs. & as far as I can ascertain, a structure attached to the side of the property only needs B Regs if it’s a garage. An attached car port is exempt if it’s less than 30 sq/m & is defined as “being open on at least two sides” & mine would be with both the doors open :LOL: ! Agreed it’s a slant on it & I don’t intend to cut corners but I have a Hawthorn hedge on one corner & a fairly large tree about 4m from the other corner of where the strip foundation will be & I’m concerned the BI will make me dig down half way to bloody Australia. Then there is the cost of the submission; no sense in paying if I don’t have to & LABC have already had some very nice a contributions from me over the last 6 years & building notices seem to be getting ever more expensive!

Views & comments from anyone else gratefully received.

almost certain open means no wall along that edge beyound the depth off a supporting pillar

Sponsored Links
Build it, wait a bit, add doors, wait a bit, add more doors.
You can always reverse the work by taking the doors off. but pillar each end is a must, obviously.

There will be 300mm brick piers, one on each corner & an intermediate mid way along the external wall. I’m fitting 8ft doors & the frames will be fixed directly between the piers at each end.

I did something similar many years ago. The drawings showed the carport to have an 'up and over gate'! (It was a Garador garage door) :eek:

Passed all the regs, inspections, etc with no questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back