practising soldering, technique for 90° solder ring fittings could be better?

Distance education is no substitute for hands-on, clip round the ear'hole guidance... but we do what we can to help, via this medium!

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for all the feedback, I may reply to some individual posts later. In the meantime I've got some more copper and fittings to play with but I need to sort a diverter issue as my next priority (separate thread incoming shortly.)

I attempted a few more of the 90° elbows with the flame dialled back quite a bit and definitely have improved results, actually the first attempt went almost perfectly, no solder pooling at the bottom, but I was so intently focused on that I missed a spot at the top (doh!) Ballsed up another entirely by overheating but then a couple more finished up a bit better.

So less heat, more practice is the way forward :)

I will try some end feed at a later time.

Good werk Berk. I have found a 15mm fitting can be soldered with a soft propane flame no more than 50mm long. Leaded solder is less "runny" but of course solder ring fittings come with leadfree.
So less heat, more practice is the way forward :)

Sponsored Links
The point I was trying to make, the lad is obviously trying to do things right and seems like he wants to learn so all the comments made are valid but for instance, some flux's can't be used on potable water, some guys insist on using leaded solder but again can't be used on potable water, the fittings themselves have to comply with British standards etc, for instance I picked up some solder ring fittings (Yorkshire is a brand name) on the bag it said not to be used on gas (wickes), the amount of solder to add , why the fittings are not meant to be be fluxed , why the pipes are reamed out, the amount of heat to apply , how to apply it ,the problems of overheating, all these things and more are all on YouTube for people to watch.
My apprenticeship was 5 years, my fathers was 7 years today people are up and running after a 6 week training course but believe me they are not trained , I don't blame anyone for wanting to make a living but use all the resources all your disposal to get that knowledge.
On another post a fellow was talking about the difference between a tank and a cistern and it was obvious that even experienced fitters did not know , so we all can learn, so I suppose what I'm saying is that soldering perhaps is not rocket science but there is more to it than just applying heat and hoping for the best, also every day is a school day.

My Apprenticeship was 4 years I achieved a Technical Grade & went on to become a Master Plumber, and one of the most qualified & the highly respected members on here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back