Moving a central heating rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My c/h system does not have a header tank, as there's no roof space in my house; it has a Boulter Buderhus (now Worcester Bosch I think) combi boiler with a storage cylinder (if that makes sense).

I want to move a rad from one side of the room to the other on the first floor of my house.

I haven't lifted the floor boards yet but I think I can pick up the supply for the new location fairly easily as I think the flow and return pipes are close by and then 't' (tee?) off.

1. Do I have to drain down the whole system before attempting this job, or is there a nifty trick to avoid this bearing mind the rad is on the first floor e.g. can I do a partial drain down?

2. Having t'd off to the new location I'll need to turn the pipe 90˚up through the floorboard - is an elbow OK or should I try to bend the pipe so that there is an easier flow? I once heard that sharp bends should be avoided.

3. Can I just cap off the old pipes, which are downstream from the new location, or do I have to find where they are T'd off from the flow and return and actually remove them at that point?

4. Although I'd like to use soldered joints they would be very difficult/dangerous under floor so are push fit joints OK?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Sponsored Links
If you have a sealed system you might as well just drain the lot off and refill with inhibitor, you shouldn't get any problems with air locks

90Deg elbows are fine

just cap off the old ones

Soldered copper is best in my opintio but push-fit is fine. Make sure you use "barriered" pipe suitable for central heating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back