Prefab garage refurbishment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum.

I have an exceptionally wet garage. The idea was to completely knock the garage down and get planning permission to build a block garage with a flat roof. However, the cost of removing, testing the current concrete base and completing the job isn't practical and financially feasible.

I've decided to tackle refurbing my prefab concrete garage. I believe it was erected early 2000 and the timber fascia is rotted. The corrugated sheets have begun to crack and it's letting a lot of water in, there is countless poor "fixes" from the previous owner of the home, also where the panels meet the garage base it is letting water in.

My first question is, do the sheets in the photo look like asbestos. Being erected early 2000 I imagine it isn't and is cement fibre, I would rather be sure.

I intend to remove the corrugated sheet roofing and create a flat EPDM roof.

Would it be easier to leave the current metal cross beams (if that's what they're called) or would you remove them one by one whilst constructing the EPDM roof.

If leaving them in, what would be the best method of timber framing the roof and tying it in to the concrete panels?

If removing them how would you go about tying a timber frame into the roof. The roofing itself seems simple enough once the wood is tied to the concrete panels.

I am going to do a fillet of sand cement and SBR slurry around the base to hopefully prevent the water ingress.

Any helps appreciated!

Attachments

• garage1 - Copy.jpg
    garage1 - Copy.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 33
  • garage2.jpg
    garage2.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 32
  • garage3.jpg
    garage3.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 32
  • garage4.jpg
    garage4.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 27
  • garage5.jpg
    garage5.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 35
  • garage6.jpg
    garage6.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 34
  • garage7 - Copy.jpg
    garage7 - Copy.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 31
  • garage8.jpg
    garage8.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
My first question is, do the sheets in the photo look like asbestos.
Get a sample tested..

I intend to remove the corrugated sheet roofing and create a flat EPDM roof.

Cheaper and DIYable, is box section steel sheeting, galvanised, then colour plastic coated.

I am going to do a fillet of sand cement and SBR slurry around the base to hopefully prevent the water ingress.

It might work for a while, but better might be to raise the floor level height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back