Concrete Panel Garage built in 1984 asbestos cement roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

As above we have a concrete panel garage built in 1984 its looking very much worse for wear and in need of a new roof etc my main concern is that the roof is asbestos cement is there a sure fire way of testing this to prove if it is standard corrugated cement or asbestos cement?
Also is it worth repairing the garage or knocking it down completely and rebuilding in block with a flat roof I imagine repairs would be expensive and maybe a lost cause and its worth spending the extra to have a brand new garage that would hopefully last as long as the old faithful concrete panel garage

Many Thanks in advance

Carl View media item 47342 View media item 47343 View media item 47344 View media item 47345 View media item 47346 View media item 47347

Sponsored Links
I would say with 99% certianty that it is an asbestos cement roof. Asbestos content will be around 4% white asbestos, and considered low risk (ie you don't need a licence or to notify HSE) It is safe to break up and dispose of appropriately as long as you take the following precautions:

Obviously break it up outdoors. Break it rather than trying to cut or abraid it.
Hose it down first, or do it on a horrible rainy day, to reduce the risk of dust escaping.
Double bag it for disposal. The inner bag should be 500 guage polythene.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back