Concrete garage with asbestos roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Concrete garage with asbestos roof which is cracked and leaks
As not to disturb the asbestos I am considering covering it with a membrane and then putting new roof sheets on top
Please advise

What type of sheeting panels should I use? and best method of securing down

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's asbestos?
On our old garage we thought the roof sheets were asbestos so called the council who came out and took a sample to test - it came back as cement based so it was ok to remove and skip

How and where can I get it tested as next door have been told by a builder that it is asbestos

PASS Uk can test it for about £23, you send the sample off and you have the test results within a few days.

We had an asbestos 7m x 3m garage roof removed and disposed. Roof laid with marine ply (18mm) and 3 layers of felt, new fascia, new guttering laid for £1550.

Sponsored Links
Use cement fibre boards, should be able to find some same size/profile as existing so fairly easy to work out what you need and fix them to the existing structure.

If current roofing is asbestos, get rid. If you can put a photo up of a broken piece of the existing roofing, we may be able to tell you if it's asbestos. (Don't break anything up purposely, if it is asbestos you will only release more fibres!)

Hi Hugh Jaleak,
Thank you for your response, I will send you some images shortly

Hi Hugh Jaleak,
Please find attached an image of the roof panel to see if it is asbestos

How and where can I get it tested as next door have been told by a builder that it is asbestos

our local council did this for free (a few years ago) - this was Kirklees so yours might charge (worth looking on their website/ phoning them)

Door, if it's metal will go as scrap, although probably wont be worth a vast amount as not enough weight. (Iron/steel is priced by the tonne.)

I cant tell from your photo, but you're looking for very fine 'hairlike' fibres along a broken edge. If these are present then it pretty safe bet you've got asbestos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back