Concrete asbestos garage roof.

Out of interest North. do you or anyone around you or your neighbour
smoke or ever had smoked?

I ask because if the answer is yes then you really are throwing caution to the wind in my opinion.
Keep the hose running, and keep it wet.

Me and my brother removed the same garage but the previous hone owner has a pit dug in the garage....guess where all the sheets went ;)

Sponsored Links
Out of interest North. do you or anyone around you or your neighbour
smoke or ever had smoked?

I ask because if the answer is yes then you really are throwing caution to the wind in my opinion.
Keep the hose running, and keep it wet.

I know...hence my previous irony post about my neighbour not going anywhere near the stuff (locked in his car) whilst I load his trailer...he'll happily be puffing away at his ciggies :)
I know a few people who've thrown a big bag of caution to the south westerly wind, only to find them filling their lungs with pure tobacco!

Although, no I don't smoke...blinking asthma...even carpets make me wheeze :(

I've got the hose waiting in the wings (although chances are it will be raining anyway).

Me and my brother removed the same garage but the previous hone owner has a pit dug in the garage....guess where all the sheets went ;)

Jaysus! I removed the previous occupants shed, dug up their 'foundations' and they'd use 'offcuts' to balance the corners...on a slightly different topic, when I took the old PB ceilings down, they'd filled the space between the joists (from above) with all manner of detritus (why can't people just use bins?). I got hit square in the face with a huge old tin of ghee!

Many thanks - feel a bit more confident now.

Seriously, white asbestos cement roof sheets are the lowest risk form of asbestos and even if you snap them in half you'll be releasing minimal numbers of fibres into the atmosphere.

You'll probably breath more fibres that are naturally occurring in the air whilst you're doing the job than you'll release from these roof sheets.

Take whatever precautions you feel comfortable with, but don't assume that if you accidentally drill or cut a sheet that you've created another fukushima.

Seriously, white asbestos cement roof sheets are the lowest risk form of asbestos and even if you snap them in half you'll be releasing minimal numbers of fibres into the atmosphere.

You'll probably breath more fibres that are naturally occurring in the air whilst you're doing the job than you'll release from these roof sheets.

Take whatever precautions you feel comfortable with, but don't assume that if you accidentally drill or cut a sheet that you've created another fukushima.

Cheers - all this has eased my worries however irrational (up to a certain part) they are.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
...in the words of Columbo, just one more thing!! I'm not procrastinating honest...but apologies for further enquiries - can only hope this thread is of some use to other folks in the future :)

Ok - having never lifted a piece of these boards before, I'm wondering how heavy they are - I understand they are heavier than they look, but I'm wondering if I can get by with placing three sheets per wrap of DPM (I'll then bin line on each end and tape up). These sheets are approx 5' x 2.5' - the length of the roof is 5 metres (and of course 5 metres on the other side).
If I can manage three sheets (unbroken) per wrapped DPM I can probably get away with a 4m x 15m DPM. If three might be too heavy to lift (I'll be doing this on my own....nobody I know is willing to help with this!!) I'll have to think again, but I don't want to overspend on sheeting/bags.

Many thanks...final question honest!

Check out the HSE website. It gives you all of the information that you may wish to follow.
Search asbestos on the site, its all there on how to both remove them and safely dispose of them. your local council will pick them up for 50 squid and that includes anything up to a maximum load of 1 ton in rubbish

Ok - having never lifted a piece of these boards before, I'm wondering how heavy they are - I understand they are heavier than they look, but I'm wondering if I can get by with placing three sheets per wrap of DPM (I'll then bin line on each end and tape up). These sheets are approx 5' x 2.5' - the length of the roof is 5 metres (and of course 5 metres on the other side).
With my excellent non-technical estimating abilities I would guess that a 3' by 10' sheet is about as heavy as a bag of cement (25kg) the last time I had any to dispose of. I snapped each sheet into three so they were managable and wrapped them in DPM by lapping each of the three sections and then folding the ends over on opposite sides. That used the least amount of DPM whilst keeping each 'package' managable by one person. With that in mind I think you would be better off placing two sheets per package as three might get a bit heavy to handle without damaging the DPM.

I disposed of an entire 6x3m roof with one roll of 4x15m DPM by breaking into 1m sections. If you broke yours into 2.5ft2 sections then you would only be able to wrap three across the sheet but your area is slightly smaller than my roof was so you should still be able to arrange them correctly. If in doubt buy two and return one if it is unused.

To snap them cleanly you will need to cut a strip of DPM twice the width of the sheet and fold it over it, give both sides of the sheet a quick spray with a hose and then place a large chunk of wood on both sides of the snap point while leaning one end of the sheet against a wall. Then just lean on the wall-facing part and give the other side a firm nudge half way up. It will snap cleanly along the wood most times.

(BTW, use a suitable vinyl tape to seal the packages up as cloth tapes (duck/gaffa tape) won't bond to the DPM for more than a few hours.)

With my excellent non-technical estimating abilities I would guess that a 3' by 10' sheet is about as heavy as a bag of cement (25kg) the last time I had any to dispose of. I snapped each sheet into three so they were managable and wrapped them in DPM by lapping each of the three sections and then folding the ends over on opposite sides. That used the least amount of DPM whilst keeping each 'package' managable by one person. With that in mind I think you would be better off placing two sheets per package as three might get a bit heavy to handle without damaging the DPM.

I disposed of an entire 6x3m roof with one roll of 4x15m DPM by breaking into 1m sections. If you broke yours into 2.5ft2 sections then you would only be able to wrap three across the sheet but your area is slightly smaller than my roof was so you should still be able to arrange them correctly. If in doubt buy two and return one if it is unused.

To snap them cleanly you will need to cut a strip of DPM twice the width of the sheet and fold it over it, give both sides of the sheet a quick spray with a hose and then place a large chunk of wood on both sides of the snap point while leaning one end of the sheet against a wall. Then just lean on the wall-facing part and give the other side a firm nudge half way up. It will snap cleanly along the wood most times.

(BTW, use a suitable vinyl tape to seal the packages up as cloth tapes (duck/gaffa tape) won't bond to the DPM for more than a few hours.)

Brilliant - thanks xdave. It might sound a bit odd trying to perfect the taking down of the roof, but I have a bit of a thing for doing things right. Not only that, but were so conscious of our budget on this house refurb that we're having to scrimp and save as much as humanely possible, hence not wanting to waste even sheets of DPM.

So - if I'm reading it correctly, I'd be placing two sheets (5'x2.5') into a a cut layer of DPM (twice the width plus maybe a couple of inches to wrap underneath) - tape these up (before breaking?) then use your breaking method which will leave me (once the sheets are folded over on themselves) with four sections (4x 2.5 squares essentially).
Does that sound right?

Struggling to work out your breaking method though...long pieces (5' section) against the wall and one piece of wood or two...where are you placing it/them?!

btw- I've picked up some cheap bin liners (pack of fifty) so I can then double bag the DPM wrapped sections - paid around £1.50 for these - I'll then tape these up as well (will look out for the right tape - can't guarantee it will be shifted on the day).

Many thanks,

Well, I removed this yesterday...and what a horrid job it is! Main problem was the mask was so good, I could hardly breathe...and it took about 7 hours (I was alone). Full suit, mask, googles and gloves but still didn't enjoy it one iota. I kept it damp all the time, but inevitiably panels were either already broken or broke a little on removal (they were nailed to timber)....still having flashbacks. Finished just as it was getting dark then unwrapped outside and bagged all the clothing. Unfortunately I ran out of tape (struggled to find a decent tape to be fair - used some extra strong clean packing tape in the end) so had to bag everything in DPM (two per wrap) and fold it in on itself - I have to finish taping off today.

Despite being reassured about safety level and exposure, I'm not sure I'd ever fancy doing that again.

I'm actually thinking of calling a local asbestos removal company just to come and pick it up (the council and local tips do not offer pick up services) rather than lifting it to the local tip (in a friends trailer)...I just want it away now.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

I'm actually thinking of calling a local asbestos removal company just to come and pick it up (the council and local tips do not offer pick up services) rather than lifting it to the local tip (in a friends trailer)...I just want it away now.

It would be worth phoning some local skip companies as many will collect bagged asbestos for the price of the equivalent skip. They just turn up, load the bags straight into the skip and leave with it.

It would be worth phoning some local skip companies as many will collect bagged asbestos for the price of the equivalent skip. They just turn up, load the bags straight into the skip and leave with it.

Yes - I nearly phoned a local asbestos removal company, but I bet they'd add a fair bit onto the price. Just phoned one local skip company - they don't pick up the bags but suggested leaving a small skip (purely for this waste) at a cost of around £80 or taking to their weigh bridge (anywhere between £50 - £70. I'll try a couple of other skip hire firms, but it's looking like it would be cheaper to take it to the local tip (have phoned them in advance - some suggest it might have to be weighed, others not).

Cheers.

If you can get a skip for £80 for bonded asbestos i'd snap their hand off. It cost me over £500 for my old garage to be taken down and disposed of, (majority of that I was informed was the landfill cost). Expected to see it dismantled and bagged prior to loading onto the lorry. Came home to see the crew smashing it into bits and throwing it (loose) on the back of their truck.....

Tip may take it, but my area have a strict limit on how much they'll accept as household, and it isn't much. Any more and the whole lot is charged at full commercial rate! Would strongly advise, if you get it taken away you ask for your copy of the Environment Agency consignment note. Covers your back if anyone comes knocking the door regarding flytipped asbestos waste! That price does seem rather cheap to me..... :eek:

If you can get a skip for £80 for bonded asbestos i'd snap their hand off. It cost me over £500 for my old garage to be taken down and disposed of, (majority of that I was informed was the landfill cost). Expected to see it dismantled and bagged prior to loading onto the lorry. Came home to see the crew smashing it into bits and throwing it (loose) on the back of their truck.....

Tip may take it, but my area have a strict limit on how much they'll accept as household, and it isn't much. Any more and the whole lot is charged at full commercial rate! Would strongly advise, if you get it taken away you ask for your copy of the Environment Agency consignment note. Covers your back if anyone comes knocking the door regarding flytipped asbestos waste! That price does seem rather cheap to me..... :eek:

I think that may have been the price plus the weight. There were a couple of local firms adversting waste disposal (including asbestos). Another firm offers a wagon to arrive at your place which you then fill, then weigh it then take it away there and then - think they mentioned about a tenner per bag (so would've cost me approx £90). One guy did mention you could drop the stuff off unbagged...

Anyway, my old neighbour (mentioned in this thread) forced my hand in the end and turned up with his trailer. I had some DPM left over which I lined the trailer with and placed the bags (the 2x4 full sheets in their own DPM fully taped up) on top, wrapped it all up with the liner then his trailer (roped) sheet to secure and off we went to (one of) the local tip (I'd rang to check earlier). Was touch and go there however - felt as if we were 'commercial susepcts' and initially they wouldn't take it (due to the amount as mentioned by the poster/s above) but soon gave us the nod (thankfully).
Right old job all along though. Seems to be a case of what you want to believe with regard to this type of bonded asbestos...I chose to be as cautious as I could possibly be (bearing in mind it wasn't simply a case of lifting panels off given they were nailed into timber in numerous places - inevitable it had to be broken a few times).
Cost was just for tape (bit of a pain taping it all up in the rain) and a bottle of brandy for my old neighbour - the overalls, gloves, mask etc were donated.

Anyway...all gone, and I probably won't be doing that again for a long time!

Thanks for all the advice...now to find someone who can house the concrete garage below :)

There is a common misconception that only a licensed removal agency or local authority can remove your tired asbestos garage. The Environment Agency will grant a license to a company to become a bonafide upper tier waste carrier. Even so, the company still has to have a means of legitimately disposing of the waste preferably an account with the large landfill organisation. Needless to say, checking the credentials of the company including their license number is a must.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back