Garage roofing modification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage roof needs some attention - its a flat sloping affair from corrugated asbestos type sheeting.

The main roof is fine, however the wooden edging that bridges the gap between roof and concrete walls is shot pretty much all the way round.

Currently there is vertical wood as described - and then some sloping wood which bridges the gap between the top of the vertical wood, and the asbestos sheeting.

Could i replace the sloping wood with lead or similar as Im sure its just going to rot again like it has previously?

________________-

Andy

Sponsored Links
here is a diagram of what i mean!

garageroofdiagramkl4.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=garageroofdiagramkl4.jpg

Wood will be much cheaper and will last at least ten years without maintenance. Just make sure you use pressure treated timber, and that when installed the water can run off of it. If you want to paint or treat it every couple of years then it will last even longer.

Having said that, the diagram shows a gap between the roof and wall, does the asbestos not overhang the walls? (they should do)

If not then get another panel, eternit fibre cement type and fix it over the existing to create an overhang. cut the sheets down lengthways into strips of the required width.

Where can I get this cement sheeting? I have done some quick searches and havnt come up with much around peterborough!

Any help much appreciated!

Andy

Sponsored Links
From Marley/Eternit site.

FGF Ltd
Vicarage Farm Road

Peterborough
Cambridgeshire
PE1 5TJ

T 01733 341717
F 01733 341767

It appears to me that the vertical wood is joining and supporting the corrugated sheet and that the horizontal wood is providing a weatherproof barrier for the join and, to some extent, it prevents water running off the side.

So, I wouldn't extend the corrugated sheet. I would remove the horizontal wood. I would buy a roll of lead flashing which should be wide enough to cover the first peak and terminate in a trough on the roof, and also be wide enough to cover the 1st 50mm of the vertical wood. Once in place you can forget your roof forever, except that the exposed bit of vertical wood should be treated every 10 years with preservative.

Kev,

the roof does not connect to the wood at all, its all held down by hooks on to metal cross members between the walls.

Seems to me, after closer inspection, that they overlapped the main roofing panels in board in middle of roof too much and they only just meet the inner edge of the concrete panel line, hence the horizontal wooden sections.... me thinks the prev. owner was a muppet or got mugged off with poor work, poor chap :(

Gonna check out the supplier in the boro, its only round corner from work.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back