Preliminary advice/information regarding hot water supply

Well it looks like the electric showers are out of the equation. (At least using more than one is)

I spoke to our Suppliers engineering department who gave me some surprising information.

They said that domestic mains supply is only guaranteed to a maximum of 15Kw !!!!!!. (Although by my calculation with a 100A supply fuse this should carry at least 22Kw max), and the only option to run more than one 10Kw shower simultaneously is 3 Phase. However, because of the rating of our local transformer which supports our cottage and next door, this would require upgrading and the cost would be thousands rather than even hundreds.

So I think what we will have to do is to go with mains thermostatic showers and a 300ltr cylinder fed by a pumped 100gallon breaker tank, and allow for the possibility that I may need to add a further secondary breaker tank at a later stage if needed for extra volume. (We have the space to do it and adding the second tank would be relatively easy).

Sponsored Links
The fuse rating is not an indication of the maximum power that can be taken from the supply.

Larger transformers have considerable thermal capacity and can accept a considerable cyclic overload for a short time.

There is also the diversity between you and next door.

As what you are now thinking is what I have suggested it all sounds good!

Tony

Thanks for all your input Agile.

On further investigation I have come across these which may be suitable as a large breaker tank.

I have contacted the manufacturer for confirmation of suitability.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back