Preparing a wall to paint. HELP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stripped the wallpaper, and then some of the paint under the wallpaper flaked off with it. The rest of the paint isn't coming off with a scraper.

I've tried sanding (home orbital sander) a bit of the wall (picture 1) and it seems to come out ok. But there is a lot of wall and this is only room 1. Tried Nitromors (or the Wilko's version of it) and it scraped the top off leaving me a yellowish hue of paint still to be sanded off. Tried some home strip eco stripping stuff and it was the same effect.

Picture 2 is the other wall that I haven't started off yet so I'll need some advice if what I'm doing is right. Do I have to remove all or most of the paint or do I just sand it down and then do a prime with 1:10 pva dilution and hope that when I paint on it the bumps of the old paint won't show through.
View media item 10516 Picture 1
View media item 10517 PIcture 2

Want to paint the walls magnolia or butterscotch and don't really want to do lining paper (unless it really is the only sensible cost and timewise solution).

I've learnt a lot about DIY in the last few days :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
hello i have just done the same for a customers stairs it pulled all the paint off, I had to fill most of the walls but it come out a treat , yours dont look at bad as the one i did because your paint seems alot thinner. If i was you i would get yourself a cheap plasters troll and a halk and some bags of filler and just put a thin coat of filler where needed but make sure you wash all the paste of before you fill and paint becuase it will crack the paint if you leave the paste on there.

This is the before and after pictures of the stairs.

If you can't plaster I'd suggest you use lining paper. Use a good thick grade.

After the filling yes..but not as a cure...its surprising what even thick lining doesnt cover

I just had a wall like that..I give it a coat of thinned dulux stain block to bind it down, filled it with ready mixed gyroc plasterboard joint filler then lined it after.

Sponsored Links
Is it really necessary to fill? Not done any filling/plastering yet and seems to require a lot of skill (based on reading the internet...:D)

I'm guessing it's not worth trying to do a base coat and hoping it won't show up on the new paint?

Tried to put a hot air gun on the paint to flake it off but ended up removing a chunk of plaster. :oops: looks like inch by inch scraping tomorrow :(

Just take the worst off around the edges..

Basecoat, like lining paper doesnt work miracles..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back