Preparing and Retreating Windows and Cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've taken note of my previous topic regarding fitting replacement UPVC windows and have decided to have one last go at the wooden windows and cladding.

The window frames appear to be of hardwood from the colour of the base, but unsure what the wood cladding is.

Firstly I've some repairs to carryout, such as some of the glass beadings need to be replaced and some of the sills and claddings need repairs.

As the house is half brick and half cladding, I've been to the Holkhams Website and alittle confused as what to use.

I think if I'm wrong, I should apply a good heavy coat of raw linseed oil, then several layers of linseed paint and the same again with linseed paints in 4/5 years. After firstly removing as much of the old water based paints and others used in the past to start with.

But as front of the house is in the worst state as it faces south with the sun and the winter elements should this be treated differently?

I thank all those who replied on my previous topic. :)

Sponsored Links
Your next move should be to ring Holkham and ask for their technical help department. They know their stuff and they can tell you the answers you need.

Large quantities of oil may not be a good thing. Just as too much fertiliser is bad for plants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back