Bay window Cladding

S

sammoseley

Hi,
this is my bay window cladding (see pic), I am planning on replacing with UPVC.
I was planning on doing the following, any advice would be much appreciated

- Take wood cladding off, expect to find frame supporting weight of the 1st floor window which I won't touch
- Insulate cavity if needed, think it's already got some kingspan in it
- Staple new DPC across (I think)
- Use UPVC cladding, never used this before so any advice on fixing it, and doing the external corners would be much appreciated
- White silicone bead against the brick

I've probably massively over-simplified it, any advice welcome!

Cheers
Sam

Sponsored Links
Hi
I dont think you will see the cavity, you should find some sort of batten with a membrane under it. New cladding will be pinned at the very top and then another piece slid on top( tongue & groove ) and so on. The corners you can buy with the cladding these will be fixed on first and cladding after. www.eurocell.co.uk

Thanks for that, yeah was planning on getting it from eurocell
how are the corner beads fixed, are they nailed or stuck over?
Cheers
Sam

sorry I missed what you wrote, fix corners first makes sense!
Sam

Sponsored Links
out of interest do these windows have steel re-inforcement inside them, I assume that when you replace one of these you need to prop it all up or the whole lot comes down :) don't worry I won't be doing that
Cheers
Sam

There is a chance it will be timber framed behind that wood. All you need to do is buy a roll of insulation and post it between the framework so you line the downstairs bay ceiling. In the unlikely event it will be blockwork behind the wood, you won't really need to insulate it but you can buy inch thick polystyrene that you cut and put in between the vertical timbers that will be there, usually it's tile lath.

For this job you'll need 4 pieces of 300mm hollow t and g cladding @ 5m, 1 length of starter trim@ 5m and 1 length of 40 by 40 90 degree rigid angle and a box of pins.

Fit all of your cladding then do the corners last. Seal top of cladding to underside of cill. Use starter trim at top.

Good luck :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back