Preparing for new floor - must I overboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to lay new engineered wood flooring including black plastic membrane, the green 6mm underlay and then 13mm para wood engineered wood.

Question is do I need to overboard the existing suspended timber floor boards? The house is 1930s and the floorboards are not in bad shape. Those needing replacement have been replaced already.

The flooring will also go into a new extension where 18mm chipboard has been layed.

Any experience/thoughts?

Sponsored Links
The point of overboarding is just to give a flat surface, if you are happy your existing floorboards provide that....

As bove, but DO NOT install a DPM over a wood subfloor, it cam cause sweating and damage to the wood, they are designed only for concrete subfloors.

Sponsored Links
Not true, DPM shouldn't be used over a wood subfloor, it's always recommended by flooring manufacturers if fitting over concrete subfloors.

Wether you choose to follow those instructions/recommendations is a different matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back