Preparing my walls for en-suite

Much as Dex suggests; remove boards to the next joist outside the room & fit noggins (minimum 4” x 2”) between the 2 joists at, say, 400mm centres. It’s essential you provide good support at the threshold; I would fit 4 noggins over the width of the door; one at each side of the door & two more equally spaced in the centre; fix with screws not nails. You will also need a line of noggins across the room at some point to support the inevitable join you will have across the room; if possible try & get the join under the shower tray but where it ends up will be dictated by the size of the board you can physically manoever into the room; can be a bugger with long narrow rooms. A bit belt & braces but if the floorboards are the same thickness as the ply you’re using, I would think about cutting the ply so it runs through the threshold onto to centre of the next joist outside the room but you wont get it out of the width of the board if it’s more than 1200mm so would need to cut the other way & shift the join to the centre of the room; how you cut & fit depends on the room dimensions but you may have to do that anyway to physically get the board into the room; always keep joins to an absolute minimum, none if you physically can.

The joist on the other side looks to be very close to the wall A/B & the gap looks to be only ½ inch or so; you’re never going the get any sort of loading along the edge of the board so you won’t really need anything along there. If in doubt, for a bit of additional support, you could “sister” whatever thickness of timber you can get into the gap to the joist by screwing through from the other side.

I can see the Scorpion saw in the background there, did you get on OK with it?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back