Preparing sandy brickwork for 1 coat plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello plasterers hope you can give me some advice.

I'm wanting to replaster part of a kitchen brick wall with an area 3m long and 1.5m high. The loose plaster I removed has left sandy dusty brickwork. I'm wanting to use 1 coat plaster to repair but was wondering if i needed to brush the wall clean and/or coat with PVA first

Thanks

Jo

Sponsored Links
hi joe,

have al look at 'wickes plaster bonding agent' it's suitable for friable surfaces, used it myself to prime some old lime based plaster before i reskimmed, this stuff i could have brushed until there was none left but the WBA sorted it right out, PVA would work too but IMO the bonding agent is the surefire option.

still give it a good brush off first tho.

you may also want to give it a coat of 5:1 PVA once the WBA has dried fully depending on the suction still left in the wall, WBA will kill some but not all so test it before you plaster.

Sponsored Links
If the patch you are plasteing is any where near ground level you realy need to use a waterproofer in a sand/cement mix then skim. If it is over 1m high, then wire brush and 2 coats of pva. Let the first dry completely then put the 2nd coat on and skim when tacky..

Hello plasterers hope you can give me some advice.

I'm wanting to replaster part of a kitchen brick wall with an area 3m long and 1.5m high. The loose plaster I removed has left sandy dusty brickwork. I'm wanting to use 1 coat plaster to repair but was wondering if i needed to brush the wall clean and/or coat with PVA first

Thanks

Jo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back