Preparing Suspended Floor for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for some advise as to how to go about putting in a suspended floor, with a view to it being tiled.

Context:

The joists will be C24 Timber (47mm x 150mm) with 480mm spacing between them and about 6.5 metres long (with 2 sleeper walls at 2 & 4 metres). They'll be in joist hangers on a wall plate, attached to the wall with resin fixings. For extra stability I've read I should add noggins.

So:

1. To make sure that this suspended floor is suitable for tiling is there anything I should be considering? How many/placement of noggins? Joist spacing? Anything else?

2. What is the an appropriate flooring material/procedure to use in preparation for tiling to ensure tiles don't crack? I've read about using ply, cement board and other things but I am unsure.

Thanks! Happy to provide any extra info if it helps.

Sponsored Links
Did kitchen 7 years ago, 38 x170 at 400 centres, 3600 span with noggin in middle, topped with 22 P5 boards, screwed 5mm ply on top with Turbo TX 4mm x 20 mm screws at 100mm centres, treated with primer and fixed 300 x 600 tiles with mapei flexible adhesive. No issues so far

I cannot see any reason why you'd opt for ply over cement board for overboarding subfloor when tiling. A number of disadvantages with the former. It would likely be fine, but I'd just use a product that is designed specifically for the job, isn't going to swell if any water damage, better load capacity etc.

I used 6mm hardiebacker. Adhesive underneath (between subfloor and board) as per instructions, and then screwed down. The other advantage is that the screw centres are marked on the boards.

Sponsored Links
Plan sounds good. Ensure wall plates are secure and wall won't pass any damp onto them. Sleeper walls sound good, just ensure there is no bounce at all in the joists before you commence floorboards and then tiling.

Yes add noggins in 2 places, between the walls and sleeper walls each side for stability and rigidity.

Hint: insulating in between the joists before screwing down the floorboards is a lot easier than doing it afterwards and will make your floor warmer and save u money if you're having underfloor heating.

Do NOT tile onto plywood, but rather lay 6mm no more ply or hardibacker, ensure they are staggered when laid and screwed down firmly, tile with back buttering , utilise a tile levelling system and use a decent flexible adhesive like benferflex C2 and it should be good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back