Preparing Walls - How to get them flat? ? ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope everyone is well.

Im a complete novice when it comes to painting and decorating but i have stripped some wallpaper from a wall over the weekend and underneath, there are bits of the wall which are uneven.

What is the best way to get everything flat again and smooth so to speak? ? ?

Is there some kind of wallfiller that you can just smooth over the wall and then leave it for a while before painting over it? ? ?

Any help is much appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yep its called skimming the walls and u will need a plasterer which i am.

Cool.

Any tips? ? ?

Are there any products which can apply which then make the wall smoother? ? ?

Yes 2 coatplaster and if u r a DIY Novice then u have no chance. :mad:

Sponsored Links
don't mean to be rude but how can you tell he needs his walls skimming
when you havent even seen them ?

If hes on about spreading some kind of wall filler all over the walls ,it sounds to me as if the answer is to skim the walls.

brist is right I'm afraid. You can mess around all you like but in the end there's no substitue for a proper plaster skim. More costly but worth it. We moved into a housewith Artex on every ceiling and for the first 3 weeks we stayed in a flat while we got a plasterer in to skim the lot, while we ripped out all the naff B&Q victoriana, awful chandeliers, plastic fillers in the corners of the coving, stained glass.... yuk.

Looks nice and spacious and bright now.

SaintGJR7 said:
Hi all, hope everyone is well.

Im a complete novice when it comes to painting and decorating but i have stripped some wallpaper from a wall over the weekend and underneath, there are bits of the wall which are uneven.

What is the best way to get everything flat again and smooth so to speak? ? ?

Is there some kind of wallfiller that you can just smooth over the wall and then leave it for a while before painting over it? ? ?

Any help is much appreciated.

Many Thanks.

It takes time and patience, but it can be done, as I have done it plenty of times, but its difficult to say without actually seeing it.

Do you mean that some of the paint has come away with the paper, or do you mean there is like a ridge going across the wall?

Strip the walls off...then wash em down to remove all the old paste and krud (technical term!)

Then give em a coat of a primer sealer, dulux stain block is good..thin it out a bit first though, that will bind the wall up nicely and give you a good surface to fill on

Then get yourself a 20kg tub of ready mixed joint filler from b&q...and a wide bladed filling knife, alternativly a bag of easi fill will do the job too.

Dont hump too much on...build it up using a couple of goes, wetting the wall and running a clean blade over it to help smooth out the filler ad give you less filling to rub down.

When its down you can either size the walls and line them or give them a mist coat to see if you have missed any filling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back