Preparing wooden bathroom subfloor for electric underfloor heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've been mulling this problem over for a week or so now and still haven't been able to come up with a clear solution, hoping someone on here can help. I'm trying to do this properly without blowing the budget.

I'm completely refurbing our main bathroom, new suite, relocating bath, shower enclosure, new wall panels and 'luxury vinyl' floor covering. I'd like to install sticky mat type underfloor heating, I have an electrician coming to do his part but I'm struggling a bit with what I need to put on the existing subfloor before and after the heating mat. I don't want to raise the floor height above its previous tiled level (probably 15mm).

I've stripped out all the old tiles, the tongue and groove wooden sub floor is in good condition. The floor tiles were installed on backer boards so the whole lot came out relatively easily in sections. The house is approx 28 years old.

I'm thinking insulation or backer boards, then heating mat, then floor levelling compound, then luxury vinyl?? Backer boards over the entire floor or just the area where the heating mat will be installed? First plumbing fix after installing the backer boards?

Thanks, in hope of some sage advice..
Rob

Sponsored Links
We put down a 6mm xps insulation with the heat mats ontop then tiled directly onto that. I guess your leveller would replace our tile adhesive and your floor would go ontop.

Having said all that, we never have it on, seemed a novelty at the time.

Thanks Ian. You've convinced me, I'll forget about the UFH, I've got enough problems with this bathroom redesign as it is :( Still can't decide what would be the easiest flooring to install though. Was thinking waterproof laminate but that gives me problems with finish around shower tray, toilet and vanity unit. Needs to float so would have to use hideous edging around the bathroom furniture...

Stick down LVT doesnt like underfloor heating, it will likely discolour even with HT adhesives. just a warning, especially if you planned to use bath mats etc.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back