Bathroom subfloor & Electric Underfloor Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wooden floorboard bathroom floor, ive taken up the laminate that was on top and am replacing with new tiles (slate) (along with a complete bathroom renovation).

I've been thinking a lot about the floor height (I dont want an obvious step up into the bathroom - I dont mind a few mil).

Ive read that I would need to remove the floorboards and lay marine ply 18mm to create a new floor. Then over that put down backer board (6mm) onto which can then be tiled. Added complication of underfloor heating matt to lay too.

Could I use a specific ufh insulation board that is a bit thinner instead of normal backer board (I.e hardiebacker) to go down on the ply?

Also, is it possible to leave the flooring under the bath as it is? Would I have to replace the whole lot in one go? Or could I for instance do most of it (up to ply level) and then leave the area under the toilet until I'm ready to replace the toilet? Even if I went for no ufh would I still need to replace boards with ply?

The ply fitting would be quite difficult in the bathroom, so I am considering a different option, as the floorboards are in good condition and level. That is to leave the floorboards, put hardie backer 6mm down (adhesive and screwed), then the electric UFH mat, then tile. Looking at some advice, the thermal board is too flimsy and not worth it with a wooden floor. I can't rip the whole bathroom up at once as it is our only bathroom and toilet.

Lot's of options, any experience of these?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back