Overboarding wet underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of my bathroom refurbishment, I'm looking to purchase an UFH kit from either Omnie or Continental Underfloor. They both sell a system using 22mm chipboard that has been routed to accept 12mm UFH pipes.

My bathroom previously had 18mm chipboard with 9mm (I think) plywood sheets screwed and glued and then tiled over. No issues with the tiles in 22 years!

I have already removed all the flooring.

The Omnie boards are called torfloor and details can be found here.
The Continental boards are called oneboard and details can be found here.

Both systems are identical in terms of installation. Because the boards are pre-grooved they must be strengthened by gluing and screwing a minimum of 6mm plywood sheets. Because the boards have pipes running along them, the glue and screws can only be placed between the pipes.

While I understand that the 22mm routed boards require the plywood to complete their structural integrity, I don't like the idea of having wooden sheets above the UFH as wood is not a good conductor of heat.

I considered using Hardiebacker boards, 6mm or possibly 12mm as these are cement boards and so will be much better at conducting the heat and I get the impression they are just as strong as ply, if not stronger. However, Hardiebacker boards must be laid on a full layer of adhesive and I'm not keen on the idea of putting adhesive over all the pipes.

Another possibility would be no more ply as this can be installed using grab adhesive, so I assume I could just run the adhesive between the pipes, like I would when gluing ply. The problem with no more ply is that I believe it is thermally insulating, so I assume it would stop the heat getting through to the tiles that will be fixed to the board.

Another issue is that both Continental and Omnie state that unless 6mm or greater ply is used they can't offer any guarantees. They have never tested their system using Hardiebacker or any other type of board, only ply. In this day and age, that's a shame given their are so many different products available on the market.

Another possibility would be to glue and screw 6mm ply to the routed boards (meeting their guarantee requirements), and then fix 6mm hardiebacker board to the ply. This feels like it ticks all the boxes (although I still have sheets of wood over the UFH), but it will be a lot of work!

I would appreciate your thoughts and guidance on the different over-boarding solutions.

What would you do?

Sponsored Links
I'd do it the way they recommend then put Hardibacker over the top, that way your warranty is at least guaranteed. TBH I can't blame the manufacturer for not testing your particular solution because there are so many combinations of boards and adhesives that it would soon become extremely expensive for them to test every combination for every market they sell into, so they are playing safe with what they know they can support I'd suggest.

From a purely trade perspective, even in this day and age it is still the responsibilities of the specifier and installer to ensure that the correct product has been selected and that it is installed in the manner specified by the manufacturer with recourse to variation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd do it the way they recommend then put Hardibacker over the top, that way your warranty is at least guaranteed. TBH I can't blame the manufacturer for not testing your particular solution because there are so many combinations of boards and adhesives that it would soon become extremely expensive for them to test every combination for every market they sell into, so they are playing safe with what they know they can support I'd suggest.

From a purely trade perspective, even in this day and age it is still the responsibilities of the specifier and installer to ensure that the correct product has been selected and that it is installed in the manner specified by the manufacturer with recourse to variation.

Thanks for replying to my post. I know what you say makes the best sense and is probably what I will end up doing, but it does feel like it will be a lot more work having to glue and screw two lots of boards, however, it should give the best compromise for heat transfer, strength and a tiling foundation as well as working to Omnie's specification. I am doubting myself about the need to fit the extra layer of hardiebacker board!

I had a quick look for plywood boards and got confused by the number of different types.

I can't seem to find any at 6mm thick, they tend to be 5.5mm! Softwood, hardwood, birch, structural, non-structural etc. I had no idea there were so many different types and it isn't cheap!

I'm assuming a softwood, non-structural 5.5mm board would be find for my requirements, especially if I'm going to fit 6mm hardiebacker board over it?

Personally I'd go for a 6mm (5.5mm) hardwood ply board over softwood. These tend to be a lot stiffer and more consistent in thickness than softwood in my experience. In hardwood you can get thinner plywood down to 3mm

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Hi, Just trying to find some reviews on either the Torfloor or the Continal Oneboard systems, before I commit to ordering. Did you install the system? was/is it successful?
I am struggling to make the decision, as we are planning to install quite expensive flooring and dont want to remove the rads, install the floor and find out the UFH system is not up to scratch.
Thanks

Hi JohnBoy,

I decided to go for the Omnie Torfloor system as it was cheaper than Continental and their website has a comprehensive over tiling document giving lots of information, which I followed exactly and haven't had any issues.

Although 6mm ply is the minimum required overboard I went with 9mm ply as I needed a little bit of extra height to match the depth of my shower tray (no other reason).

The floor is fully tiled and after 5 months there's no sign of movement and the UFH works well.

However, I also have quite a large towel rail installed so this helps heat up our bathroom, which is quite large. The UFH is perfect for providing nice warm tiles to walk on, but I'm not 100% sure if it would actually heat up our bathroom adequately if we didn't also have the towel rail, I haven't actually tried turning off the towel rail to test this.

I was always very sceptical about fixing plywood over their Torfloor system, but this had to be done to get their guarantee as they wouldn't recommend anything else, such as hardiebacker board, although I'm sure this would have been okay and would have provided a much better material for the heat to pass through. In fact, one of the quotes I received from an installer included the use of hardiebacker board with the Torfloor system, but in the end I decided to install the whole thing myself and simply got a heating engineer to connect it up to my existing heating system as I made other changes, such as the inclusion of a LLH, a new wiring centre and new controls.

Apparently, the Torfloor boards and the Continental boards (Oneboard?) are made by the same manufacturer, but just branded differently.

Replacing the existing flooring with the Torfloor boards was quite a big job (for me, having never done it before), but I had to move a lot of pipes around anyway and so would have had to take up a large proportion of the floor to do that.

I'm very please with the result.

Great, thanks for the feedback. Glad it has been successful.

I am looking at installing in hallway, lounge and dinning room and removing the radiators, I have been advised that the floor area will provide = heat as rads but I am not convinced.

I have done quite a bit of research and I am currently preferring the Omnie product, as I prefer the pipe grove layouts. Continal layout has staggered returns.

I will also use 9mm if floor levels permit.

Thanks again.

No problem. It does appear that the heat output is more of an issue for you than it was for me as I always knew I would have a large towel rail to help heat the room.

I hope it goes well.

Hey JohnBoy ,

Have you already installed the UFH system? If so, have you used Omnie in the end, how does it perform? I plan to replace rads with UFH in my hallway, leaving room, kitchen and dining room and I still wonder if it will give enough heat during cold winter days.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back