Which insulation to use under underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in the process of refurbishing my bathroom and plan to install an Omnie Torfloor system. This comprises of 22mm routed chipboard that replaces the existing flooring. The UFH pipes are pushed into the pre-routed slots and then 6mm plywood is glued and screwed to provide the required structural integrity.

The bathroom is on the first floor with living space below. I need to install insulation under the boards to prevent the UFH system heating the space between the joists, so forcing the heat up. Obviously, the lack of conductivity of chipboard will help that, but insulation still needs to be used.

My joists have 400mm centres and are 190mm deep. I've calculated that the "length" of the insulation needs to be around 2.6m.

The supplier of the UFH does not have any recommendations for which insulation should be used under it.

My first thought was to use glass mineral wool. A couple of rolls of Knauf 200mm Super Top Up Loft Roll Insulation would do the trick. Wool insulation would be much easier and quicker to install, especially where there are pipes running between the floor boards. 200mm would also pack out the 190mm depth of the joists just nicely, as Ideally the insulation needs to be touching the bottom of the flooring, to avoid leaving an air gap.

However, I'm aware that wool insulation is not as good at insulating as the board type of insulation, so the other possibility would be to use Kingspan TP10 50mm insulation boards. This would be a more difficult insulation to install as I would need to use battens, fixed to the insides of the joists to hold the 50mm insulation upto the top of the joists. Also, it would be much more difficult to fit it around the pipes.

I would appreciate your thoughts on which type of insulation would be best.

Sponsored Links
Today I purchased a couple of rolls of Knauf 200mm Super Top Up Loft Roll insulation.

As I received no replies, I thought I would stick with the insulation that will be the easiest to install.

Interesting that the instructions on the packaging warn against laying over electric cables to avoid them overheating. Not sure how I will be able to avoid cables that are feeding downstairs light fittings and the cables are run through holes drilled in the joists!

Probably would have gone foam board, but as you've bought the rockwool, stick with that.

As a rule of thumb, don't compress it, keep it fluffy, and for your ref, it's only half the thermal rating of foam, 200m mineral wool = around 100mm foam board, so you are well over your 50mm thought.

I've used mineral wool in a suspended floor, works well. I haven't got UFH.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
....200m mineral wool = around 100mm foam board, so you are well over your 50mm thought....

Thanks, that's good to know as I was only considering using 50mm foam.

I liked the idea of using foam, but having never used it before, I wasn't sure how to make it fit around the pipes and cables that run between the joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back