Prepping floor for fireplace tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I have recently opened up an old fireplace and I am looking to put some slate tiles in the bottom to make a hearth for a stove.

The main floor is concrete, the bottom of the opened up fireplace is 2 inches or so below floor level with the old small tiles in the bottom. I want to bring things level with the and want to know the best thing to use.

I was toying with filling up with normal concrete but I read that it would need quite a few weeks to dry before I could lay the slate on. Is this correct?

I also saw that BAL do a rapid set concrete and was thinking of using that instead as I would ideally like to tile in a week or 2 max after levelling. does anyone have any experience of the BAL rapid set?

Lastly, What would be the best method of fixing the tiles to the floor? Would a sand cement mix be best?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not simply slurry the cleaned up hearth, then bring up to level with a pre-mixed bag of sand and cement (any plumbing suppliers).

While the screed is "wet" you could fix your tiles to it having previously dry set-out and prepared the tile lay-out.

Lightly butter the backs of each tile with a little slurry, or cement dust if you have it available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back