Prepping for plasters.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finished a large extension , plasterboard to ceilings and walls . Some square edged, some tapered (insulated board only available tapered edge).
Expect plasterer will scrim and bead before plastering , any thing else which would save time or my money ?
Maybe fill the tapered edge or would plasterer just skim over both types of board.? Rooms are fairly large (lounge is now approx 6m square).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You'd have to fill tapered edge level you can't just skim it, it's meant for tape and join (easyfill). So if you can fill it and do a decent job then that would theoretically save the plasterer time. Use plaster, finish or bonding or whatever you've got and plasterer can pva and skim

I have easyfill , finished a few areas myself, also tried my hand at plastering small areas, need more practice.
I was thinking of filling the tapered edges, just wanted to make I wasn't going to hinder the plasterers.
Any point filling damage or wider gaps ,not all the board to ceiling mating is perfect as parts of the build was replacing existing ceiling etc which was originally a bit wayward.There is only one original wall to re-plaster which I have a tub of pre-grit for.
Thanks for the advice.

If I was skimming it then I'd be fine skimming over what you describe but I'd probably give a disclaimer saying I'd have used bonding to fill the bigger gaps rather than easyfill just incase there were any issues. Make sure you scrim any joins first

Sponsored Links
Do not fill the joints or patch the plasterboard.
Let the plasterer decide how to prepare the walls .
Any work you do will alter the suction and or disguise the condition
of the plasterboard .
You would be better off leaving the plasterboard as it is ,easier for you
and the plasterer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back