Pressure difference on raising and lowering one metre ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gas bottle fed water heater on the balcony.This supplies 5 lt/min.
The pressure into and out of the heater is 25 psi and only supplies a kitchen tap and a shower,but it is very slow.The heater is clean inside and valves open OK. When the weather is bearable outside I hope to install a Ariston F1 heater which will up the flow to 11 lt. I hope to resite the pipes to stop the cold feed freezing up. I want to go straight down through the balcony floor to the kitchen below which is about a 3 metre drop.At present the hot goes up one metre,across the walkway and down to the kitchen.But by going straight down I now lose a metre of gravity pressure but is this balanced by the need to raise it a metre.? Will it be more , less, or the same. The water is from a mountain well, not pumped just gravity. It goes through 3/8 pipe with smallbore flexible couplings. I hope to change the 3/8 to 1/2" Sorry it sounds like a school exam, but it is going to be a lot of work and I dont want it to be a waste of time. Thanks for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
25psi is about 1.7 Bar.

With a 'sealed' system (ie not fed from an open header tank) raising or lowering any of the components will make no difference to the pressure at the outlet(s). More likely the apparent lack of pressure is actually restriced flow due to the limited capacity of the heater or restricted pipe sizes.

Raising an open header tank gives an increase of about 0.1 Bar pressure for every metre. It is only the header tank position that affects the available pressure.

Thanks a lot Tickly, I understand that point now. I will say I got my sums wrong as I measured the pressure as actually 2.2 bar.
Another thing I cant understand about flow is although a bigger diameter is said to give a bigger flow 3/8 to 1/2, the water still has to go through maybe a couple of flexibles with a hole only about the size of a pencil at the joint.
Thanks because I know I wont lose anything by it. It will be have to put aside for the moment as it is well below zero every night and a good portion of the balconyfloor/kitchen ceiling will have to taken up for a few days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back