pressure drops to zero every few hours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to keep topping up with water to 2.0 bars as keeps dropping to zero after approx 2 hours. no apparant leaks.
What should i do? what happens if left overnight with low pressure?

Also see earlier posting re Vailliant Boiler

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Ask someone to replace the pressure relief valve (PRV) for you :idea:
John :)

Shouldnt this be get someone to check the system.
Isnt the prv just doing what its supposed to do if there is a fault. Yes I suppose they can go wrong.
Im not a plumber

======
To me this is like when you ask someone about a warning light on a car & they say ignor it, its there for a reason.

Absolutely fair comment old chap :confused:

Thanks for that...its nice to get someone who puts there hands up :p
Thanks for your comments, very useful.
Hvae just checked all rads for leaks (all OK) as water coming out of pipe as soon as it's filled, a suggestion is that it could be the expansion vessel! as it's an older boiler, may not be able to get part, and would have to remove from wall. Been advised may as well rplace boiler as could be just as expensive if i start replacing parts.

The expansion vessel could be at fault - if its full of water rather than air on one side of the diaphragm and water on the other...however there's no need to scrap the boiler for this bit alone, as a new EV can be put into the central heating return pipe at a convenient place.

The expansion vessel could be at fault - if its full of water rather than air on one side of the diaphragm and water on the other...however there's no need to scrap the boiler for this bit alone, as a new EV can be put into the central heating return pipe at a convenient place.
Thanks for your feed back, i'm waiting for another opinion from an engineer, but looks like i'll go for the EV replacement initially and see how it goes.

Thanks John,

Another engineer recommeded renewing and not to replace valve. So we're going to do that. Unfortunatley with it being christmas, have to wait till 28th for it to be done. Just keeping fingers crossed it hold out till then (keep topping it up) and we don't get a cold christmas! With snow outside, it's not looking likely

Replacing the PRV will sort this one I think - but as the pressure will be off the boiler its a good chance to check the welfare and pressure of the EV at the same time.
Until then, keep topping things up, look for freezing water outside and hopefully all will be ok.
Happy and warm Christmas!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back