Pressure loss not normal...need help with mystery!

Blimey..whats going on here!!!

I changed the whole PRV as it is a push fit type. It is acting exactly the same as the one I changed so seems a bit coincidental but the fact both may be faulty did cross my mind.
The gauge I go by is the one on the boiler of which the red needle is just after 1.2bar

I think I found the expansion vessel today located at the rear of the boiler. I noticed a red cylinder with a pipe coming out of the bottom which lead to the PRV area and the drain plug..is this it??
However, the pipe and nut leading from the vessel was green from water corrosion by the looks of it??
I would post a picture but there is no way I'd be able to get that near...It is a Ravenheat after all

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
If you look at manufacturers data sheets, you will find the spec is for a given flow rate at the quoted operating pressure, so it will be letting by at a lower flow rate at a lower pressure. ie could start to open at 2.5 bar.
Wow - this must now be a quorate meeting of Picky B*stards Anonymous!

It makes me so proud. :D

Softus, is it impossible for you to post something helpful if it would agree with Agile's points? You seem only to be able to post something that contradicts or otherwise disagrees even if you are wrong. And when backed into a corner, trivia and implied ridicule seem to be your defence mechanisms.

Mr. Lil, you need to release the water pressure, and check the air pressure in the expansion vessel. (assuming you haven't done this already).

oilman said:
Softus, is it impossible for you to post something helpful if it would agree with Agiles points?
I was making a point before Agile turned up on this topic, so I don't see the connection, unless Agile has appointed you as his agent.

You seem only to be able to post some that contradicts or otherwise disagrees even if you are wrong.
When I'm wrong I readily admit it. Always. As for being flippant, you're not keen on me being too serious either, so you're the one who's seeking out ways to disagree.

If you're claiming that PRVs have a tolerance on the rated opening pressure, then of course I'd agree.

If you're claiming that the OP's second PRV was opening within that tolerance, then I'd have to say that you were guessing, because he hasn't posted enough information for you to know that.

If you're claiming that the OP's second PRV is not faulty, I'd have to say that you were guessing, because he hasn't posted enough information for you to know that.

You're not normally given to making guesses and assumptions, so it would appear that you're being pedantic in an unsuccessful attempt to prove me wrong.

As I've noted before, you're stuck in Grudge City without a horse or a coach to get your ass outta town.

Sponsored Links
Mr. Lil, you need to release the water pressure, and check the air pressure in the expansion vessel. (assuming you haven't done this already).[/quote]

Thankyou...I havent done this as unfortunately I wouldnt know where to start or how to do this

Mr Softus, what I can say is that your statement that the PRV (original or otherwise) was faulty because it opened at less than 3 bar, was wrong. Look up Reliance data sheets, and you see that the operating pressure is quoted with an associated flow rate.

Mr. Lil, you need to release the water pressure, and check the air pressure in the expansion vessel. (assuming you haven't done this already).

Thankyou...I havent done this as unfortunately I wouldnt know where to start or how to do this

You operate the PRV so that the water pressure is zero, then you look round the expansion vessel (or feel round it) for a car tyre type valve. push the pin of the valve in momentairly and not if you get an air hiss or not. You may get water, if so expansion vessel is dead. Otherwise check air pressure with tyre gauge, and pump up to 1 bar. You need to release the water pressure so you check the air pressure only. Once the air is right, fill the water so the gauge reads 1 bar.

Softus said:
oilman said:
Look up Reliance data sheets...
Ravenheat? :confused:

No, Reliance. That's why I didn't write Ravenheat and wrote Reliance. Reliance make the PRVs, Ravenheat only stuff the bits into a box.

You continue to assume too much. I didn't say that you meant to write Ravenheat.

Which takes precedence - the Ravenheat MIs or the Reliance "data sheets"?

You weren't very clear then were you. Look up the Ravenheat spec then, what does it say?

oilman said:
You weren't very clear then were you.
No. I was being lazy. I apologise.

Look up the Ravenheat spec then, what does it say?
A safety valve fitted on the central heating circuit set at 43 psi (3 bar).

oilman said:
You operate the PRV so that the water pressure is zero, then you look round the expansion vessel (or feel round it) for a car tyre type valve. push the pin of the valve in momentairly and not if you get an air hiss or not. You may get water, if so expansion vessel is dead. Otherwise check air pressure with tyre gauge, and pump up to 1 bar. You need to release the water pressure so you check the air pressure only. Once the air is right, fill the water so the gauge reads 1 bar.

Many thanks ...I'll see how I get on
Please continue you two :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back