Pressure Loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there just a note to get a bit of feedback really. Myself and a friend moved into a rented property a couple of months ago. Before we moved in a new boiler had to be fitted which it duly was.

However the short version of the story is that we found out that the work had been carried out by someone who wasn't CORGI certified. We got an engineer round to check the installation and he found two gas leaks where washers hadn't been put on pipes and a few infringements on the location of ventilation... we were not happy bunnies as you can imagine. Work has now been done to correct these defects.

Saying that the boiler has now lost pressure twice in the last two months both times over night. The landlady's builder has said just to top it up with the valve and it'll be fine but if it's done it twice in two months doesn't this imply that there is a leak in the heating system somewhere? or is it just the boiler settling in again?? What do you recommend as the best course of action to take?

Oh the boiler is a Vizo Condensing Combi Boiler... think the VIZO24 but I'm not at home at the moment so can't check.... Either way it's basically the cheapest one they could find in the B&Q down the road.

Sponsored Links
Jackdown said:
However the short version of the story is that we found out that the work had been carried out by someone who wasn't CORGI certified.
How did you find out?

We got an engineer round to check the installation
Why did you get an engineer round? Why not the landlord or the managing agent?

...and he found two gas leaks where washers hadn't been put on pipes and a few infringements on the location of ventilation... we were not happy bunnies as you can imagine.
Was the original trader reported to the HSE? And to CORGI? If not then why not?

Work has now been done to correct these defects.
Have you been shown the gas safety certificate?

...if it's done it twice in two months doesn't this imply that there is a leak in the heating system somewhere?
There could be. Or the system could be corroding.

or is it just the boiler settling in again?
No.

What do you recommend as the best course of action to take?
If you pay your rent, then let the people responsible sort it out. I don't understand why you're making it your problem. :confused:

Oh the boiler is a Vizo Condensing Combi Boiler... think the VIZO24 but I'm not at home at the moment so can't check.... Either way it's basically the cheapest one they could find in the B&Q down the road.
Given that the landlady is a skinflint and has already broken the law, I would find somewhere else to live and give someone else the problem.

This is typical of landlords, the cheapest boiler fitted by a non corgi.

As you are the keyholder you had the option to complain to CORGI but very few people ever do that so these unregistered people carry on regardless.

You should have a Gas safety certificate for the property. If you dont have one provided by the landlord then try complaining to CORGI first and they wmight come and inspect the boiler and identify further problems.

Tony

We found out because we found the boiler installation log book shoved down the back of the boiler and not filled in. Phoned CORGI and asked them if the installation had been registered with them.... lo and behold it hadn't. Then proceeded to pester landlady until a gas inspection man came out to check the installation.... obviously it was instantly condemned. We should be getting someone out to confirm the new installation on Monday. If not then we'll be complaining to CORGI and getting them to do an inspection.

It's just that the flat is going to have builders in at the weekend (slightly concerned that it's going to be the same ones who did the first installation) so if there is a problem with the plumbing/heating too we can ask them to look at that.

But yes it is fair to say we are currently looking for an alternative property as we've lost faith somewhat in the way in which this ones refit was carried out.....

Sponsored Links
It's just that the flat is going to have builders in at the weekend (slightly concerned that it's going to be the same ones who did the first installation) so if there is a problem with the plumbing/heating too we can ask them to look at that.

Good plan, it's always a good idea to ask builders to look at heating & plumbing problems.

You should ask corgi to send inspector anyway, even now. No benchmark and 2 gasleaks make it very likely that there are other dangers that you might not notice until it is too late.
The landlord is also obliged to have a gas safety certificate issued, aka landlord certificate or cp12, and MUST give you a copy. You obviously do not have one, which in itself is a serious offence, for the landlord, not for you.
The sooner you do this, the better as nobody knows how dangerous your situation is.
Common faults with this sort of cowboy work are also faulty electrical safety which could leave every copper or steel pipe and radiators, bath or kitchen sink live if a wire comes loose. Can be very unpleasant when this happens, especially when you are in the bath at that time.

I love going to properties where builders have done the plumbing.

And when I say "I love it", I mean it in the sense of "I loathe and detest it".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back