pressure loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

we have had a small problem, or rather an inconvenience for a while now with our central heating.

we have a Vaillant ecotec pro 28, this was installed this time last year, prior to that we had a 20 year old vaillant and the problem was present with this boiler also therefore we know its an issue with the pipework somewhere.

the problem, we have a very gradual loss of pressure, by gradual I mean that it will lose 0.2 bar roughly of pressure over the space of 3 months.

in the winter when the boiler is heating full pelt it will go till the summer without needing topping up, but when its not in use it needs topping up every 3 months.

to a layman like me, this appears to be a very very micro leak, i have gone round and checked all of the valves etc but cannot see or feel anything.

what do you guys suggest, how hard will it be to find this leak or is this just an inconvenience we just put up with.

Sponsored Links
Do you find that you have to bleed air from any radiator/s regularly ?

Do you find that you have to bleed air from any radiator/s regularly ?

thank you, no we have never had to bleed radiators, in fact the radiators get red across across the whole rad.

the system was power flushed before the new boiler was installed last november.

Do you have any pipework that is buried in flooring ,or in a void below ground floor ? Most pipework in central heating systems isn't visible ,and very tiny weepages can often go undetected as water evaporates before doing any damage to decor.
In the short term it's hardly worthwhile trying to find ,as that will surely involve quite a bit of upheaval. If it gets worse it will show up eventually.

Sponsored Links
Do you have any pipework that is buried in flooring ,or in a void below ground floor ? Most pipework in central heating systems isn't visible ,and very tiny weepages can often go undetected as water evaporates before doing any damage to decor.
In the short term it's hardly worthwhile trying to find ,as that will surely involve quite a bit of upheaval. If it gets worse it will show up eventually.

downstairs all of the pipework is buried in the floor void, old victorian house. no plumbing buried in concrete thank heavens.

sounds like we just carry on until it gets worse, dont fancy taking up 30sq meters of carpet to lift the floor boards.

what are peoples thoughts on fernox leak sealer? ive heard about it, not something i would attempt myself and would consult my installer as boiler still has 9 years warranty left.

I have never ,and wouldn't ever,put leak sealant in a central heating system.
Topping up every three months ,and only part of the year, isn't really a big cause for concern. You probably don't even add a cupful of water,in total.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back